Import duty on a bike from CRC?

KingPigeon

How much duty would I have to pay on a R12000 bike if I order from Chainreactioncycles? Do you pay when it arrives or before?

When it arrives. I think a complete bike is 15 % duty, then you will pay vat as well. Now is not the best time to import a bike with the exchange rate.

i think 14 or so % vat and then im not sure what other costs involved, i think it depends on what categorie of import it falls under or some thing like that 

Bike parts, frames etc are all duty free, just pay vat and a small admin fee. For some reason a complete bike is 15%, not sure why.

Things like certain tools, tyres and clothing have duty, not sure exactly how much.

Can one ask CRC to change the invoice so that it looks like one is ordering parts and a frame instead of a complete bike?

Can one ask CRC to change the invoice so that it looks like one is ordering parts and a frame instead of a complete bike?

doubt if they would do that. Then they will have to ship in differant boxes to break up the bike in parts. and then your shipping will be more. So what will you be saving at the end of the day?

Bike parts, frames etc are all duty free, just pay vat and a small admin fee. For some reason a complete bike is 15%, not sure why.

Things like certain tools, tyres and clothing have duty, not sure exactly how much.

Cloting - including cycling kit! - gets 40% import duty +VAT!  I learned the hard wayCry

clothing gets import duties thanks to some bright spark here in Sa saying that buying local is lekker

we have the same problem with our ice hockey kit at work the price that we pay is not the price that we get quoted thanks to the nice people at the offices at the airport who think it is funny to add 10% to each item of kit landing it really is a farse!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Import duties = crap, ah how nice would it be without them...just imagine how cheap stuff wud be Cry

You will pay 15% on the invoice value (excluding shipping costs) (using the exch rate at the time of shipping) + and effective 17,5% VAT.  (VAT is charged on the Customs Value + 10% thereof upliftment, + any duties).

If you split the bike up into 2 seperate consignments, then you will not pay the duty, but will still pay an effective 15,4% VAT, but then it will have to be invoiced as such. 

Asking CRC to alter the invoice is dumb.  SARS can impose a penalty of upto 3 times the value of the bike (AND you will still have to pay the duties and VAT) but realistically they only go with once the value + the duties and VAT.

clothing gets import duties thanks to some bright spark here in Sa saying that buying local is lekker

we have the same problem with our ice hockey kit at work the price that we pay is not the price that we get quoted thanks to the nice people at the offices at the airport who think it is funny to add 10% to each item of kit landing it really is a farse!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, import duties are put in place to protect the local industry.  The problem is that SA companies are inefficient and our workforce is lazy and expensive.  Where no local industry requires protection, there can be a lobby for the insertion of another duty item at 0% but this is not going to happen for insignificant items (in the bigger balance of payments picture)