HELP NEEDED WITH HEADSET

jamis1

I have a CANE CREEK headset on my MTB wanted to clean and grease the bearings as the bottom one doesn?t sound to healthy. It seems like the bearings is pressed in to the frame and I am scared to damage the frame and or bearings.

Can I take them out (if yes how and how do I put them back)?? Or should I take the bike to my LBS.

I would say take it to your LBS, unless you have the right tools to do the job.

The tool you need to knock out the bearings looks like a pipe with flanges at the end. You can actually google all the info you need, but it takes time and hassels ))

I doubt they are pressed in. The dirt might just make it feel that way. I have a Cane Creek S3 or something and the bearings just sits loosely in the cups.

I think you are mistaking the bearing race cup for the bearing itself.

If its a standard 'ahead' style system, take the stem of the fork and the fork should drop right out. Bearings will come out on the fork steerer.. Clean the bearing cup/race thats stays in the frame top and bottom and of course the bearing..

Not the greatest explanation... If you are really not sure what you are doing, take to the lbs, but give it try, its worthwhile and free..Big%20smile

If you are still not sure, look at a few exploded pics of a headset, will make it understandable...

If its a integrated headset/ new fangled space titanium effort, then someone else needs to help you as I know nothing!LOL

Otherwise where In Gauteng are you? If you are not close to me, then Im sure someone else wont mind giving half an hour to teach you..

Jamis, I see you're relatively new here. You'll soon get used to the purile juveniles that see genetalia in each proper bicycle term. I'm used to nipple and screw getting giggles but headset is new to me. Maybe they  should apply for scriptwriters on the Monty Python team.

Anyway, there is some sage advice above, but I want to add that the different types of headsets you get are basically internal and external. This merely refers to the location of the bearings in relation to the head tube.

The internal headsets are relatively simple since the cup part of the headset is part of the frame and the bearing just sits on top of that. It pops out easily and is usually just glued in there with a bit of grease or grit or rust.

External headsets can be found on threaded and unthreaded forks. The latter is usually called A-Headset, after the brand name A-headset, the holder of the patent for that design. It is now widely licensed by the other manufacutrers, even Crane Creek.

You dont' say which type of headset you have, but to adjust and work on an A-Headset, you only need an allen key and to work on threaded headsets, you need two flat 32-mm spanners - special tools for the job.

It sounds to me as if you already have the fork out and are just nervous about popping the bearing out. Don't be nervous, if the fork is out, the bearing will come off easily, by hand. External headsets usually use loose bearing balls in retainers, running on a steel race. These are easy to service since you simply dunk the lot in paraffin and clean, regrease and refit them.

A-Headset bearings are often cartridge bearings that are not meant to be user-serviced. However, you can pop them open with a pen knife, clean and regrease them, giving them another fews thousand kms of life.

Thanks for all the advice and help. I only got a chance to get on to the hub now ?sorry for not responding earlier ?

It is definitely an A headset and it looks like cartridge bearings the fork is out but the bearings do not want to budge I will try to post a picture this afternoon.

I changed my headset bearings, facing plates / cups etc a week ago.

I used a mallet and chisel to get the facing plate off the fork. It is a very snug fit but I would not say it is "pressed" or "heat shrunk" on.

Maken sure that you place the threaded end of the fork on a piece of releatively soft wood to protect the threads when doing this.

I found it more tricky getting the new plate on though. Got to be very careful not to damage the new plate. So I inverted the old plate and tapped it into place using same mallet and chisel.

Gently off and gently on. Patience is a good thing to have when doing this job.

That sorts the bike now caqn anyone help me with the faulty wiring in the riders headset?LOL