MTB SA Olympic Program

Athena

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What did the worlds team actually get? Did they get flights' date=' accomodation, anything?

[/quote']

Jet-lag

prolly, I remeber one of the DH riders a little while back saying they had to fork out like R500 for national kit.

SA have zero women that would be competitive in lap racing in Europe. Yolandi De Villiers and Anke Erlank would be your best bet but as far as I know they are not even on the Olympic squad.

Geepers, knee nigglies!!! you in the wrong sport baby, if you aint tough enough to ride a comfortabale epic don't waist SA cycling's money to go faff around in europe 

you should learn to spell.

Ok that sounds mean I didn't mean to be mean it just looked kinda funny.Smile 

Geepers' date=' knee nigglies!!! you in the wrong sport baby, if you aint tough enough to ride a comfortabale epic don't waist SA cycling's money to go faff around in europe [/quote']

seeing you are in the Bahamas, who cares who waistes cycling SA's money.

Entirely different' date=' they're training to be good and fast for 2 hours, why change the training to be good for 5 hours a day for 8 days? It's 2 entirely different types of training.[/quote']

Track racers also train to be fast for shorter periods, but in early season they compete in tours to build a sound aerobic base for the season. Last year we had the Belgian track team at the Giro del Capo and Cornu wacked them all at worlds.

The Epic would be ideal to build a good base. If a female is strectched by the Epic so she cannot recover to compete again, then they are probably not ready to go campaign anywhere anyway.

I think that kind of misses the point, Barry.  The problem with these girls is they have no real experience at XC style racing.  They need to hope their aerobic base is good enough and get down to getting some experience - they only have about 18 months before the Olympics.  It may be a good idea for them to build aerobic base at next year's Epic though before the Olympics in August.

Guest colonel

Erlank has retired and is going to Ireland to study and be with her husband.

ye, you got a point regarding the XC exposure . I know for a fact that most South Africans lack this aerobic base and excluding the only tour they will see this year, may not be such a good idea.

My reply was to the fact that it would not be good in a training scheme of things. It fits perfectly into any European focussed program.

Maybe then in adition to sound aerobic base, you exclude the marathons afterwards and find a friendly type XC racing circuit to biuld up to the next level. Maybe after this go for the Euro circuit.

Aerobic base is everything, what good is it going to do if the girls have great skills but they ride at the back of the field? Its a complete different experience when one is going flat out fighting for position at the front and then trying to practice skill. The only benefit of sending a team overseas is if their physical ability is already half way in the pack otherwise they could just as well practice skills at home.

athena jy het duidelik nie gesien hoe het yolande speedy die sabie gery nie....daardie girl sal ass kick....