Gearing for Climbs

IanJ

I am starting to look at what equipment to use for the Etape du Tour in July. The profile is below, it has been suggested I should use compact cranks and maybe a 12-26 cluster. Any suggestions?

Also should I fit them now and train with them or wait until closer to the event to get the benefit?

http://www.cyclosport.co.uk/images/etape2007profile.gif

Foix > Loudenvielle - Le Louron
Monday 16th July 2007 - stage 15 - Distance 196 km
Km 27Col de PortAscent of 11,4 km at a 5,3% gradient
Km 98Col de Portet dAspetAscent of 5,7 km at a 6,9% gradient
Km 114Col de MenteAscent of 7 km at a 8,1% gradient
Km 159Port de BalesAscent of 19,2 km at a 6,2% gradient
Km 184Col de PeyresourdeAscent of 9,7 km at a 7,8% gradient

Ian it depends how strong you are.

And also, what are the max gradients of the climbs?

I would be quite happy riding 8.1% in 39x23 but your mileage may differ. Also, if that hill kicks up at 15% for a few hundred metres somewhere, I think we would probably both be happier with the option of something smaller.

I don't see the point of changing your cranks / sprockets now, unless you can find similar passes to train on.

I think you need a more detailed breakdown of climbs, as within each of these climbs there will be sections that are a lot steeper.

My compact 50/34 11/23 combination worked fine for the Jock, but I think if the climbs were a lot longer I would be more comfortable with a 12/25. (especially for if you 'blow' halfway up the last climb!)

Spoke to a few guys who rode the eTape last year, the one guy put on a compact he says the speed were very similar, as in no one dropped him and he didn't drop them but at the end of the day he felt alot fresher, I think it is a good idea to do it just before you go, that way you should get the most benefit.

I believe the gradients on the hairpin bends can go up to 20% in places and some sections are 10% for up to 3km. My climbing is not bad but I still want to improve. Also want to lose a few more kilo's before July.

Maybe I should take a 39-26 and go find some long steep climbs to test before looking at compacts.

definitely wouldn't change to  a compact at the last minute. You will become frustrated at the difference in changing gears on race day (bigger gap between 50/34 over 53/39 for example). It took me a few weeks to become completely used to the cranks.

Go get the bloody compacts unless you plan on racing the thing. Even the domestiques for the big teams are gonna be using compacts for the big climbing stages.

If you are going to run a 50-36, I would suggest using a 12-26 at the back, otherwise run a 50-34 with a 12-25 at the back.  You will spend very little time in the big blade in the 12 so you won't feel the loss of a heavy gear.  The downhills are so fast that pedalling is not of any value other than to keep your legs warm for the next mountain and you will probably find that just staying on your bike will be challenge enough (it was for me).

Personally I changed to compact and 12-25 for the 2005 Etape and have not considered changing back to men's gearing since then.  I ride flat races with the 12-25!  So I would change sooner rather than later.  I would recommend learning how to recover on a climb.  Find a long climb somewhere (anything over 4km and about 5% will do) and ride hard to the base (or do your interval session before the climb), then spin up the climb in your easiest gear concentrating on relaxing and letting your heart rate settle.  I spent a fair amount of time riding the 4km up the M19 in Durban after hard intervals or a tempo ride to the base.  On those long climbs you have to be able to recover when the gradient eases a little otherwise you will be in the red from Portet d'Aspet and by the time you get to Port de Bales you will be stuffed.

Ok thanks for the feedback, seems like compacts are the way to go and sooner rather than later.

It is good thought and suggestion to go find climbs and test out a few

options. Find a gear that gives you rhythm up similar climbs. Which

reminds me we need to go do another training camp soon Wink 

It is good thought and suggestion to go find climbs and test out a few options. Find a gear that gives you rhythm up similar climbs. Which reminds me we need to go do another training camp soon Wink 

Yup I am going to sort out my passport tomorrow, then it is Lesotho for the next camp. Hopefully before the snow comes.