Time ATAC

hyper7

Hi Guys,

Since I started riding more than my usual commute, I've been having some knee problems, especially my left knee. I use Shimano SPDs on both my bikes (Hardtail commuter and FS training/Racing bike).

I live out here in the boonies, so no close by LBS where I can have a fitment done. I have found a great website, and my bikes are set up as close as I think I can get them. Only one thing remains, the cleats. So I was wondering if the Time ATAC pedals are better than the SPDs. If you looks at their advertising blurb, it seems to be the case, with all kinds of float in all directions. Smile

Anyway, some advice will be appreciated. I'd like to go a bit harder, but at this stage my knee is crying blue murder as soon as I try to step up the pace a bit.

try getting your cleats in the centre of the front of your foot(not sure what its called, and make sure your shoe can point straight in your pedal with movement in both directions(left and right)

i find that knee pain is directly related to saddle height... try tinkering with it for a while till you come right...

i find that knee pain is directly related to saddle height... try tinkering with it for a while till you come right...

good point there,

maybe check the saddle first, less work, then if that does not work then try moving the cleats

Knee pain is almost always caused by foot or hip problems.

Knee pain can be caused by not enough float.  And certainly SPDs aren't the best for that.  Time is definitely better for this.

Knee pain can be caused by saddle height.

And knee pain can definitely be caused by badly fitting shoes.  I get knee pain when I don't do the straps on my shoes up snugly.  (snug -- not blood constricting, but not loose)

Knee pain can also be caused by foot tilt.

What you do is: cheapest, and easiest, to most expensive.

1. Make sure your shoes are snug.  If this isn't possible, swap shoes.

2. Make sure your saddle height is correct.  Do not believe the LeMond (or any other) formula.  Saddle height is also dependent on pedal stroke (toe or heel down) -- get decent help.

3. Check cleat position. (do together with 2.)

4. Have a chiro check your hips.  If there is/was a problem re-do 2 and 3.

5. Swap shoes.

6. Swap pedals/cleats.  Expensive if you've got more than one bike.

It is trial and error. I've (okay medical aid) spend about R35 000 on trying to solve my knee problem. Only the left one. Out of desperation I went to a chiropractor and she "fixed" me in two sessions. I still need to go back every now and again but I've only been there 3 times this year. I also got certain headaches due to by back being out of wack. So now I know if I get a certain headache or shoulder pain, I must not go riding because my knee will be in pain during and after.

It is trial and error. I've (okay medical aid) spend about R35 000 on trying to solve my knee problem. Only the left one. Out of desperation I went to a chiropractor and she "fixed" me in two sessions.

Check number 4 on my list of things to do Clap

I still need to go back every now and again but I've only been there 3 times this year. I also got certain headaches due to by back being out of wack. So now I know if I get a certain headache or shoulder pain' date=' I must not go riding because my knee will be in pain during and after.

[/quote']

That's quite a severe back problem.

I'm quite aware that back problems will manifest themselves in other ways.  And anybody that looks at (most) cycling postures will know that.

I only got that fixed with regular Yoga, and lots of core and back exercise in the gym.  And I only started doing that after I fractured a couple of vertebrae.  I could have avoided that by doing core work before.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the suggestions, I've got a good list to work through now. :o)

Any suggestions on a GOOD bike fit shop? I would prefer somebody who would seriously try to solve my problem, not get me out the door asap.

You don't mention where on the knee your pain is ... muscular just above the knee could be simply over-use (depending on how quickly you've ramped up your mileage), and a massage may resolve. Pain behind the knee may be due to saddle being too high ... pain in front of the knee may be saddle too low.

Hi Climate,

It seems to be mostly on the right hand side of the left kneecap, if you feel in the middle of your knee, right next to the kneecap, you can feel something hard there,  (Bone probably) it is just about there.

That sounds very similar to an injury I suffered from some years back. Can't hurt (no ... believe me, it will) to get a massage of the small muscle just above and to the right of your left kneecap. Good luck.