29er wheel size/fork clearance

Flowta

Can anybody with a 29er wheelset (or anybody that just happens to know) please tell me how big the outside diameter of your 29er wheel is and/or how much clearance I shoud have on the fork.

I have a bike/frame that I'm building up and the fork looks like I might be able to squeeze a 29er wheel in there. So I'm thinking 69er/96er Big%20smile.

How much bigger is a 29er wheel with tyre than a 26er with tyre?

Is it just the difference in the rim size?

29er rims are the same diameter as 700c road rims, so put a road wheel in then add 2.3odd inches to the top, you'll want some mud clearance so my guess would be you need 6cm above the rim to comfortably run the 9er wheel.

may be a good idea to measure up the rake on the fork aswell just to check your new bike won't handle like a pig...

29er rims are the same diameter as 700c road rims' date=' so put a road wheel in then add 2.3odd inches to the top, you'll want some mud clearance so my guess would be you need 6cm above the rim to comfortably run the 9er wheel.

may be a good idea to measure up the rake on the fork aswell just to check your new bike won't handle like a pig...
[/quote']

That's more like what I was looking for Clap

It's more out of curiousity than anything else.

I tried my 26" wheel in there this morning with a Geax Saguarro 2.2 (it's quite a big tyre) and I had about 35mm clearance. If I put on a smaller tyre like a Saguarro 2.0 or Kenda Nevegal/SB8 2.0 or 2.1 I think it might work.

What do you guys think?

Could those who have 29ers please do me a favour and measure the outside diameter of your wheelsets and put them here with details of what tyre you use.

Thanks