Striped hanger thread

Piesang

Hi,

My bike doesn't have a detachable hanger(part of frame where DR skrews onto). From wear and tear over the years the thread of this is worked out. The bike shop told me that I need to re-thread it. Our bike shops here in the Vaal are useless and can't do it for me. Can anybody advise me on a bike shop or cycle repair place in Gauteng that might assist with this. Or maybe knows of other ways to fix the problem?

One option is to take the frame to an engineering place and let them weld the hole closed and then redrill and tap the hole...unfortunatley you will have to have the paintwork fixed up again.

Another possible option to have a hellicoil fitted, but I wouldn't recommend it as it probably wouldn't work as the frame is too narrow and not enough "meat" for a permamnent fix.

Otherwise get a new frame. Us cyclists never need a better excuse than that to replace a frame.Big%20smile

Thanks man. Wil see what I can do. I've grown so attached to my frame. Would be to sad for it be replaced.CryLOL

Thanks man. Wil see what I can do. I've grown so attached to my frame. Would be to sad for it be replaced.CryLOL

What frame have you got?

BMC in Cape Town will be able to help you, I broke my bike?s hanger completely off and they fixed it.

BMC - 021-448 4692 - ask for Jarrydkjind2009-02-17 00:19:58

Nothing special. It's an Scott Speedster S2 - 2005 model. Me and this bike have had many happy Kilometers!

BMC in Cape Town will be able to help you' date=' I broke my bike?s hanger completely of and they fixed it.
BMC - 021-448 4692 - ask for Jarryd[/quote']

Cool! do you think they have a branch in Gauteng?

Send it into pro bike they will either be able to fix it or will suggest the best way to sort it out!!!

also who does your maintenace on that bike because they should be shot the only time the thread in a hangar works out is if somebody cross threaded that derailer and then attempted to correct themselves and in so doing they wrecked the threads and made a quick fix

Speaking under correction here, but any stripped thread/bolthole can be rethreaded with a slightly bigger thread.. and then a slightly bigger bolt can be used to secure the part...

Most decent car workshops/engineering places will do it for you... just get the next size bolt and take it with... Or get a thread cutter and do it yourself.

Have had done it numerous times on our motorbikes in the past, quick and easy..

They fixed mine by filling the hole with alluminium and re-drilled and machined it. Looks like new. Will try and post a pic tommorow.