The price of Stans

Dubber88

I've been using my own tubeless systems and stans since 2005...

Stans just did a test where he compares various sealants in an open plate... the new stans outlast everything in the video... OK... maybe in a plate... but your sealant is not on a plate when riding... It's in a sealed volume of air just like in a bottle... Trying to say some of the water based sealant WILL evaporate quicker in an open environment... the new Stans will still last longer inside a tire - but at what cost? I've used the real stans sealant and it sticks to the tire and strip like any other latex based sealant....

For real UST tires I use American Classics with 2 layers of electrical tape and a road bike long type valve. A sealant from Midas which I thin with water to cost R28 for 500ml (after thinned) - (same stuff for R60 in some bike shops) ... Blue green stuff with tiny rubber pieces mixed in... Every second month I take the tires off, wash them with soap, put new sealant in... this stuff doesn't stick to your rimstrip or tyre... after months the tyre looks brand new inside...

For ultralight tires I use American Classics with Stans strip and long roadbike valve... Used tape for long, but sometimes tires burp. The Stans strip gives a good seal and allow me to ride a 400g 1.9" at 1.8 bar...

For sealant with the light setup I use latex (R130-00 for 5L) thin the sealant 50% with water and add a little dish washer soap... Works out R13-00 per litre after thinned and is good for at least a month... stick to the tyre and strip just like stans... so every 3 weeks I quickly take tire off, scoop sealant that's left out and wash the tire with sponge and soap... add new sealant...

Making anything tubeless is no hassle to me anymore... It takes less than 5 minutes to make a system tubeless and I NEVER have a hard time with inflation... I can almost always use a mini hand pump to inflate... just add a layer of 2 extra tape to build up the rim dia and tires will seal right away...

Go figure...

Regarding the sealent from Midas, can you recall the name?

Just buy it from CRC , it R480 for the Kit

Or

Do what i did , got my order from them this week , Sealant @ R 124.86 Rim tape @ R 115.27 and if you need valves the also R 124.00 Total R 363.00 way cheaper, i just bought it as a spare set at home as its worth the price.

I should really get distributors in the JHB area...

1 Liter, R150

5 Liters, R550 (R110 per liter)

Distributors would get even better prices. Problem is shipping it around, couriers are expensive, distributors would have to order a few bottles to cover postage.

You can use your old tube and cut out the valve and use it to save money, instead of spending R124 for valves...

I also got sealant from motorbike shop and I think it is called "Basal" much cheaper than Stans or Joes! They look same...

A few months ago I stopped to help a little farm boy with a flat bicycle tyre. His pump was broken and his tyre had also seen better days, but held air when I used my pump. I asked the little guy if uses anything to prevent punctures and he keenly piped up that they use 'meel en water'. Turns out they make up a slurry of flour and water which is inserted into the tube. It does not entirely stop leaks but results in a 'slow puncture', which allows one to get home to effect more permanent repairs. I thought it an ingenious solution. It is cheap and a product which the folks have at home already.

A few months ago I stopped to help a little farm boy with a flat bicycle tyre. His pump was broken and his tyre had also seen better days, but held air when I used my pump. I asked the little guy if uses anything to prevent punctures and he keenly piped up that they use 'meel en water'. Turns out they make up a slurry of flour and water which is inserted into the tube. It does not entirely stop leaks but results in a 'slow puncture', which allows one to get home to effect more permanent repairs. I thought it an ingenious solution. It is cheap and a product which the folks have at home already.

Brilliant!! The theory is solid!!

AND...if you get stuck in the sticks somewhere...you'll NEVER go hungry...

Guest Travis.

Haha! This beats what the Malawians do! My dad once saw a guy use grass to "inflate" the wheel (basically stuffing it into the tyre). He bought him a tube and new tyres. From then on when he saw my dad's white Patrol come close to the house he'd run to open up. Works better than pressing any button for an electrical gate laugh.gif