MTB not always safer!!!

wesf

Ok, I realize that this case may be unique and I am in no way generalizing that MTB riding is as dangerous as far as serious accidents go. (Compared to road riding)

This happened on Friday afternoon just up from the Gona river in Knysna. Anyone who has done the Knysna Oyster Festival ride will remember the river with the pump station in the valley just before the second nasty climb.

We where riding a part of the route from the other side and where decending down to the river. I got to the river first and was waiting for the other two riders, when two motor bikes (scramblers) came screaming past in the opposite direction. The one rider was on the wrong side of the road and came around the blind corner and hit the one cyclist head on......

To cut a long story short, we raced him to hospital with ER24. The Victim had a broken femur just above the knee and a fractured pelvis in three places with some minors to his ankle, face and hands. He went into surgery on Sat and has started his very long recovery. He is 21 years old.

A very big UP to ER24 who were there in no time at all and provided fantastic support.ClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap

BE CAREFULL PEOPLE!!!!!! This just emphasized how exposed we are on our bicycles and just how quickly things can go wrong no matter where you ride. Be prepared with cell and emergency no's always.

wesf2009-03-16 00:06:08

Cycling is a very safe sport. It's other idiots like this scrambler rider, super bike riders, cars, trucks, busses, taxis, muggers and even other cyclist that make it unsafe.

This is a problem with riding in remote areas - neither party expects so see traffic on the road, so both can get caught out.Cry

'Mampara" :

Yip unfortunately that is true, wish these idiots would just wake up!!!!  there are way to many of them.

Flea:

This road, although being gravel, is a public very well used road. There are cars riding on it all the time. Imagine the biker came face to face with a car coming down there.

Jeepers, that bad news, hope he makes a speedy recovery, I know that bridge and climb well, what a pitty, I hope the x-bike riders at least went to the hospital??

Luckily the bikers didn't moer him as well!!

Seriously, I wish motorcyclists and quad riders would show a bit more caution out in the fields!!

DUDE, I HATE THAT, ITS SO sh*t .  I hate being out in the forrest and one can hear the bikes around somewere but you have no Idea when youll be commin around a corner and this happens to you.

Who got hit Wes ? And did you know the bikers? Idiots. It makes me so angry.

Glad youre ok buddy.

No, dont know the bikers. Did not see them at the hospital. The one that hit him went to his family doc. Think the other bikers wife was there, helped where she could.

We are busy piecing a bike together for him so as soon as he is mobile he can start recovery. Some of the guys are donating what they have spare for the project. His ride was totally wrecked, only bit and pieces to salvage. If anyone has anything lying around in working order and willing to contribute, it will be appreciated.

Bos:

Dont think you know him, they moved here a few years back. Surname is Chriton.

Thanks for the thoughts guys. Will let you know how recovery goes.