Avid brakes + Shimano rotors

splat

Ok, all you clever okes:

Is it possible to run Avid Elixir brakes with Shimano CL rotors?

The 160 diameter rear should be OK, but the 180 Shimano front may cause a hassle because Avid runs a 185 rotor. Can I shim the caliper into place on the adaptor?

Or would it be better to run the G3 rotors with 6 bolt to CL adaptors?

Ive been using 180F/160R XTR CL rotors with Avid Juicy 5's for a few months, only issue with reagrd to clearances/size is that the XTR rotors have an alloy spider which interferes with the little tab on the avid's brake pads. Just bent it with some pliers and its fixed. With regard to the 185 avid/ 180 shimano size standard, simply buy the right mounting bracket for the rotor size, the calipers can mount onto both sizes. I use a Shimano 180 mounting bracket and its works fine. Wouldnt recommend shimming it as this could introduce vibration in the system

Considering you already have a set of G3's, I would just get the 6-bolt to CL adaptors, sell the CL rotors.

parabola2009-03-16 05:27:05

Splat,

if you run the 180mm Shimano front rotor with Avid brakes then make sure you use the Shimano disc brake mount,....... not the Avid one supplied.