2007 Trek Top Fuel 7 - Opinions please?

SeanScalpel

Hi all,

What are you guys opinions about the 2007 Trek Top Fuel 7?

http://www.trekbikes.com/images/bikes/2007/large/topfuel7_titaniteblack.jpg

FRAMESET

Frame: ZR 9000 Alloy main frame; ZR 9000 swingarm w/90mm travel

Front Suspension: RockShox Reba SL w/positive and negative air pressure, Motion Control, rebound, compression, lockout, 100mm

Rear Shock: Manitou Radium RL w/air pressure, rebound, lockout

WHEELS

Wheels: Bontrager Select

Tires: Bontrager Jones ACX, 26x2.1", 60 tpi, folding

DRIVETRAIN

Shifters: Shimano Deore, 9 speed

Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore

Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT

Crank: Shimano Deore 44/32/22

Cassette: SRAM PG-950 11-34, 9 speed

Pedals: Shimano 505, clipless

COMPONENTS

Saddle: Bontrager Race Basic

Seat Post: Bontrager Select

Handlebars: Bontrager Race, 0mm rise, 31.8mm

Stem: Bontrager Select, 7 degree, 31.8mm

Headset: Aheadset Slimstak w/semi-cartridge bearings, sealed

Brakeset: Avid Juicy 3, hydraulic disc, 6" rotors

Thanks in advance!

Small for me please...

What are they going for if I may ask and are you looking at buying new?

Very nice bike. The front derailleur I would replace with XT same as rear as well as upgrade Avid 3 to Elixir. Would have preferred a Fox Float RP something for rear shock...

I agree Solstice. I read a few reviews of the Manitou Radium RL rear shock and it doesn't seem too bad, at least has lockout and rebound. Could always replace with a Fox Float RP later?

I'm not too concerned about the front derailleur for now.

I'm going to try and see if I can maybe swop the Avid 3 for Avid 5.

Looks like a nice bike, do you know the weight??

Also, I would not worry to much about the brakes, imho the 3's work just as well as the 5's!.

I would however consider a lighter crank, SLX, or XT.

jughead_dave, I don't know the weight sorry. I did pick the bike up and didn't feel too heavy if that counts for anything.

Would you also rather look at a lighter crank before a better front derailleur?

Any other opinions about the Manitou Radium RL rear shock?

a mate of mine - Farmgate - just bought the '08 model. What a bike! Fox RLC 32 (i think) fork, RP2 shock and LX/X9 gruppo. What a bike!

I rode it on Sunday at Tokai, and was well impressed. For the money you pay (even at 2009 prices with 2009 spec) you're getting a good bike. Rides really well, and I can't say anything bad about the Reba at the front. Agree about the lack of an RP Shock, but the Juicy 3's are more than adequate unless you really want to shave grams. And if you want a better set of brakes, just get braided hoses and different pads/rotors. Will work wonders.

What are they going for this year, out of interest?

I have the Fuel EX 8, 2008 model, awesome bike!!! I think pre 2008 the rocker / link for the rear shock wasn't one piece and the tail end of the bike wandered around a bit. This was sorted out by using the 1 Piece EVO link which also has a floating pivot. The Bontrager seatpost and seat QR was too lightweight for me...had to replace both. My point is basically, if you buy one, make sure it is post 2007 as I know you can pick the pre-2008 ones up from Solomons pretty cheaply.

Thanks for the replies guys! Appreciate!

Am I correct in saying that I can always replace the Manitou Radium RL shock with a Fox RP2 if I liked to?

XTC1, interesting about the rocker/link, I didn't look at that piece that closely, but will when I go to look at the bike again this Saturday. Can one replace that rocker/link with a 1-piece should it break?

Can someone also maybe explain to me the sizes of mountain bikes when it comes to dual suspension bikes?

I believe I should be looking at a 17-18" bike.

This specific Trek has a sticker on that says 'Virtual 19.5", Actual 18"'. Does this mean the size is fine for me, or too big?

Depends, how tall r u?

i'm 1.82m, and my mate has a 17.5 (virtual) 16" actual and it was too small for me - felt cramped in the cockpit. If you're the same height as me, I'd suggest one size up, purely for that...

HOWEVER - only one way to find out what the right size is for you - go out and RIDE ONE!!! you might have stumpy legs or arms and be a totally different body type from me... So go test both size before you take any advice about the size you should be on.

As for the rocker, there might be a compatability issue with the size/width of the connecting rods etc on the newer version, but I can't tell you for sure. It'll also change the suspension dynamics if the arm is shorter/longer than the 2 piece. You'll have to check out the sizing before committing to the purchase (borrow someone else's 2008/2009, strip it down and see if it fits, then give it back with a good 12 year old whisky attached to it) But you're right in saying that you can change to an RP2 later on - just be prepared to pay out your ar5e for it!

cptmayhem2009-04-29 23:05:34

Hi cptmayhem,

I'm 1.72m. Like I said, from what I could find, I should be looking at a 17-18" bike. I was just not sure if I should be looking at the virtual size or the actual size?

I agree though, I'll definitely ride the bike first before buying. Going for the ride this Saturday.

Thanks for the info!

go for the virtual size - shows what size it would be under "normal" conditions...

as i said, my mate's was a 16" actual, 17.5 or so virtual and it fits him like a glove. He's 1.7 or so tall, and loves it.

Good luck, and let us have the pics when you get it! (on the couch, of course)