Fox 100RL shock

GoBig

Do I have to be worried about the agents ripping me off and replacing it without it really being necessary?

I've dealt with the Fox product manager at Omnico personally and you certainly don't have to worry about this.

It's probably just as JB says....they know there's going to be trouble soon so just deal with it now while it's there. If not, you'll be paying R600 for a service now and just delay spending the 3.7k for a few months, because they'll replace all the seals they're doing now every time they open it.

If it's possible to get the fork back as is, go to Johan's course and learn to look after the fork yourself. It's not as scary as it seems and neither is Johan.

If the rub on the stanchions are quite servere then they would need to be replaced.

As Johan said, the agents might be slightly over generous, but then again maybe not.

Stanchion rub happens from worn and "shifted or dislodged" bushings, these can cause quite heavy rubbing and will wear deeper than just the coating.

Badly maintained shocks also get little stones lodged between the dust wiper and the stanchion, this gouges the stanchion, now the right hand side of a Fox is an "open oil bath system", a lttle bit of a gap between rubber and metal and all the oil starts pushing through.

Thanks for your advice guys. I have, perhaps unfortunately?, already given the go-ahead to just get it done. I really need to get back on the bike

JB, I am still very keen to come to the workshop though, can you please let me know the details - I will bring along the damaged parts and get your views on it. I will also post pictures here

• 1 month later...