Monster - Massive disappointment valid?

Borriz

Is it just me, or was the Magalies Monster very disappointing?

I'm referring to the track. Mountain biking is suppose to have a level of toughness. But holy crap, I'm sure all the organisers did was to put up the banting on last year's race. There was no maintenance or preparation for that route.

Was this the case when Carl Shubbert ran this race?

Then the other point. Who sets a water table after 11km but not one before a massive 7km climb that will take the average rider more than 45minutes? I'm not mentioning that the 2nd table after the massive climb ran dry.

Are my questions or expectations just or aim I spoilt with other races?

Previous finishers please comment, cause the Monster will never see me again.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This was mine, my son Kurt and Di's first Monster. I think we all agree that it was a really, really hard race. However apart some of the route marking I would say it was an excellent (although very, very tough) race and I will enter again.

However I will train harder on rocky hills before the next one.

Hey Mark-son how was the goose?

Yes! Please post full review and photos.

@Ben - Awesome, first rocky climb I realised it was worth every cent.

@Hog - It will have to wait. I'm packing for the World Air Games as I'm leaving for Turin on Thursday.  Also it's dirty, can't take photos till it's clean and shiny again.

This was my first Magalies Monster race I did, did the 45km. Loved it. When I passed all the water tables where stocked with iche cold drinks. The only problem I had was when going out of Utopia there was no proper signs to actualy go through the fence, we went further up and had to turn back to climb through the fence. The rest was all tough but brilliant, Had to wait an hour and a half for the wife to finish. gremlin2009-05-31 11:42:46

The monster is a race for mtb'ers ' date=' not woozies ![/quote']

and definitly no roadies Wink

The roadies where there, that was the ones that stoped and pushed when they saw a few rocks and technical bits. Eventuly passed all of them.

Did the 75KM, Overheard one of the guy's I was riding with say this is more difficult than any day at the Epic. Must agree it was tough. I must admit that it seemed easier this year than last year and definitely also helped that I decided not to race.

As to the Water tables running dry, i observed riders dumping water from the buckets at the stations into their bottles and messing quit a bit.

I was happy with the water points, water point 1 was probably a waste, if you need to stop that soon, well ... Not going to say much about the technical side of things, was a bit drawn out after a while, not much free flowing single track, so while I enjoy the challenges of rocks I too enjoy some speed, not just flying down breedtsnek which I do almost every weekend (yawn). Soft sand also got a bit boring/frustrating. My training route during the week entails plenty soft sand, but when someone falls or stops in front of you in it, you have little chance of continuing. So all in all not a highlight on my MTB calendar.

The fact that the last couple kms lead to plenty encounters with back marking 45km riders was equally frustrating especially on the long cement path.

The locked gate exiting Utopia forcing a bottlenek to form while one rider at a time snuck through the fence was a stuff up. Someone should have checked the route before the race began to ensure all was good to go.

Tough race for sure and if you need to brush up on your technical skills go for the 75km ride will stand you in good sted for the remainder of the year.

My 1st cycle race ever, did the 45. When they said it would be tough I still didn't picture the endless kilometres of jagged rocks on ridiculous gradients that we encountered. Made it home in a decent time though and really enjoyed it except for the problems that have already been mentioned above.

Best part was the announcer reminding us not to take the left fork to the 75 because "we would die". He may have been right.

My 1st cycle race ever' date=' did the 45. When they said it would be tough I still didn't picture the endless kilometres of jagged rocks on ridiculous gradients that we encountered. Made it home in a decent time though and really enjoyed it except for the problems that have already been mentioned above.

Best part was the announcer reminding us not to take the left fork to the 75 because "we would die". He may have been right.[/quote']

Bit tougher than tennis, hey Tim? Wink