Neck pains

Revog

Hi

My wife complains of neck and upper back pains when riding, and she is conviced that lifting the handel bars with a extension piece will make it better.

What do you think she should do?

Tell her to move her head sideways for short periods while riding. Will help with neck pain. Do specific back exercises, for  back pain

Unless she has neck problems off the bike, then the bike fit is wrong, or the bike is too big. You don't say whether its a MTB or a road bike. Is it for commuting, or riding around at a gentle pace, or training for racing? There are women specific designed bikes (WSD's), which have geometries suited to women's normally shorter legs and torsos than men, with the exception of some women, like, erm... ja...never mind. The fit depends on her arm length (how far forward she leans towards the handlebars- if she's stretching, she'll have neck pain), inner leg measurement, shoulder width, and torso length, and others. The bike might be the right size, but the stem may be too long and the seat too far back.

If you want your wife to be in it for the long haul and not get fed up, sort it out quickly. The best way to do it if budget allows it, is to go to a bikeshop that gives good service and does fits and get a new bike fitted for your wife.

Or else post the measurements here and we'll be able to tell you whether the bike should be a 16 or a 16,5 or an 18 (MTB's). or  50 or a 53 or 54 (road), etc. Then you can buy a bike through the hub. I just bought a dual suss Giant NRS off the hub for my wife- waited and got the right size, picked it up last week- no problems. 

Thanks for the advice Yang, I will take her for measurements, its time for some new bikes anyway

Agree go for a setup but some other thoughts -

Riding in a more upright position will definitely help. So make sure the shop who do the setup understand what type of riding she will be doing. There is sense in sitting in a racing crouch if you don't need to.

The core of most, if not all, upper body pain can usually be traced to your abs. These muscles support most of what you are doing and if they are not up to spec your back start to take strain, especially between the shoulder blades as you are carrying your total upper body weight with your arms.

If you are talking about hammering it for long distances I would say it is almost normal as most cyclist tend to feel it.

O yes raise the height of that ironing board Big%20smile

I had a pain in the neck, but then I sent her back to the ironing board.! Wink

Check the bike size and set-up.

How long has the wife been riding.?

Sometimes the body takes a while to adjust ... for the both the novice as well as the more experienced rider after a bit of a layoff.

The importance of core strength shouldn't be underestimated.

General fitness also plays a role - as one fatigues supporting your body weight on the bike can become increasingly difficult and can lead to neck and back pain.

Who's the best bike shop to have a setup done. Have the same problem as Revog's whife after 50km.

Springs.  Prepared to travel a few k not a very big variety of bike shops close to us. cyclingfan2009-07-06 01:51:44

I'll put my money on it that she is stretched out. thus either shorter stem, or smaller bike.

Core muscles, as far as I know, plays role in lower back problems. I've made change to 110 stem (from 100mm) and I've got a very slight tingling feeling between my shoulder blades.

So maybe bike size is biggest culpret if its neck.