Advice needed on Mtb for first timer

Chris Joubert

Howzit all, I want to get a decent MTB, the one I have at the moment is a R400 jobbie from Makro.  I looked around and found the following at Cajees

Schwinn Mesa Disc - On special for about 3k.

Is this a decent bike?

I am not concerned about weight, I dont want a duel suspension, and cable disk brakes are good enough.  Might use the bike to start commuting to work a couple of days a week, and do some offroading over weekends.

All help will be appreciated.

nothing wrong with the schwinn for that price. decent platform to upgrade on later.

welcome to the sport and the hub, chris!

Yup, agree with HR.

Nothing wrong with the Schwinn Mesa. Good starting off bike at a very good sounding price.

I started off with a Schwinn Moab that I picked up at a similar price.

Hey,from the specs i saw on the bike ,it looks good to start out,and thats a good price as well.bear in mind you may enjoy it and want to upgrade soon,so if a bike with a better spec at a good price is available,consider it.

SR/Suntour XCT Suspension Fork w/ Adjustable Preload, 80mm Travel

SRAM SX-4/SunTour XCM202 24-Speed Drivetrain w/ SRAM SX-4 Trigger Shifters & Suntour XCC-T302 Cranks

Hayes MX4 Mechanical Disc Brakes

Formula Disc Hubs, Alex PC19 Alloy Rims, Kenda K-1027 1.95" Tires, Alloy Bar & Stem

Gotta agree with Holy there... You'll have the perfect platform to upgrade the discs, fork etc (all of it in fact) without having to shell out for a new frame anytime soon.

Welcome to the dark side!

Thanks for the replies folks!

Holy, I have actually been a hubber for a looong time, but due to work I could not get to the forum for a while, forgot my old username as well so had to re-register. 

My current MTB is way to small for me, did a 94.7 on it a couple of years back, was hell  :-) 

Decided its time to drag my sorry lazy lanky arse off the couch and get pedaling again, so entered for the 94.7 road race already, just waiting for the MTB entries to open to enter as well.

Glad you okes recon its a good bike, its the 2008 spec though at Cajees, not the 2009 one

then welcome back, chris! haha!

still, with the 2008 spec, you're looking at a good price. disc brake bikes often retail in the R4500 range.  

I think the paintwork is the majour difference now. good luck to you,its graet when people get back into it,and training for the race is a good way to go about it!!!Smile

What is the take on the "Makro" specials, I see they have the Dunlop APex cycle for R1999  Duel suspension with disk brakes.

Experience taught me that "Goed koop is duur koop", am I right in staying away from these?

• Dynamic Y shape dual suspension frame
  • Shimano 21 speed gears
  • Quick release front wheels and seat post
  • Front disc brake
  • Alloy rims
  • Oversize tyres

What is the take on the "Makro" specials' date=' I see they have the Dunlop APex cycle for R1999  Duel suspension with disk brakes.

Experience taught me that "Goed koop is duur koop", am I right in staying away from these?

Dynamic Y shape dual suspension frame

Shimano 21 speed gears

Quick release front wheels and seat post

Front disc brake

Alloy rims

Oversize tyres

[/quote']

stay away, stay far away. and i always advise newbies to "learn the trade" on hardtails, and full-sussers are too forgiving and you miss out on learning important handling skills.

One word... CRAP!!!

Don't touch them with a barge-pole!

Donkey won one at an event last year, did one mtb race and it broke half-way through the course. Not even worth the paint they're painted with!!!

One word... CRAP!!!

Don't touch them with a barge-pole!

Donkey won one at an event last year' date=' did one mtb race and it broke half-way through the course. Not even worth the paint they're painted with!!!
[/quote']  Agree!!!,i see the amount of repairs needed on them

And as far as the "Dynamic y-shape frame"

Why do you think Trek stopped making the Y-series?

Although i must say they looked AWESOME on Pacific Blue with those Spinergy wheels!

And as far as the "Dynamic y-shape frame"

Why do you think Trek stopped making the Y-series?

Although i must say they looked AWESOME on Pacific Blue with those Spinergy wheels!

wasn't there an episode with hans rey?