Advice: What all purpose MTB tyre to use

Karl Beaton

Schwalbe's Smart Sam is their AT tyre

it replaced the Black Jack for those of you have been around for a while.

PM me for more info

I am using Continental Vertical Pro UST @ the front, Hutchinson Cobra UST @ the back.

Conti: great grip in corners, doesn't like sand much.

Hutchinson: Great tyre for dry conditions, very low rolling resistance. But SUCKS in mud. As in SHOCKING.

Have also used Maxxis Crossmarks previously... Nice, but wear quickly

Kenda Karma is OK in the dry and mud for me' date=' so I guess it can be considered an all purpose tyre, although I have not tried many others.

For all conditions except very wet and muddy, Crossmarks are very good. Thumbs%20Up

[/quote']

I also ride Kenda Karma and I have had no problem wet or dry. But riding the Burger MTB chanenge I had to get off once because of the mud. Otherwise great tires
Speeddemon2009-08-10 09:58:44

Not overly impressed with larsen TT, the sidewalls slice easily when hitting rocks, i find the Xmarks better.   

Have also used Maxxis Crossmarks previously... Nice' date=' but wear quickly[/quote']

Very good point, forgot about this major drawback. I have a couple worn sets in my "study" with not that many kms on them.

I've finally settled on Kenda Karmas after trying a host of others including Maxxi Crossmarks, Larsens, Shwalbe Racing Ralphs and a couple of others. Kenda Karma's just grip everywhere.

Have to say pretty bad in clay though. Illovo Eston last week was horrific but then every tyre grabbed another 5kg of mud so can't blame the Karmas.

Karmas have given me peace of mind. No punctures to date. Good grip. Just feel safe all the time.

Although pretty pricey, I have had good experiences with Conti Mountain Kings in pretty much all conditionsThumbs%20Up (2.2 UST combined with tubeless rims) 

Conti mountain kings are great for most off-road conditions, but wear out quickly on the tar. Plus they are pretty expensive at over R600 each for the UST's. I would also recommend a 2.4 in front and a 2.2 at the back, as the 2.2's are actually pretty skinny. Great XC tyres, I can really feel the difference in traction over my thin-walled IRC Mythos XC's.

parabola2009-08-11 07:52:47

with my limited knowledge I am going to side with TNT1. I got a set of WTB Velociraptors on my old Schwinn Mesa and after 3 years of road commuting and regular offroad riding I never had a problem' date=' excellent grip, never wore down either, just dont run them too hard. Since then I have used Kenda Nevegals which were OK but what I am currently using are Hutchinson Scorpions that came on my Yukon; they are great in terms of grip and mud sheddding but are trashed, the knobs are falling off and the tread is about 60% at the centre - after a month!

I'm seriously considering going back to the Velociraptors
[/quote']

With my not-limited (unlimited would be just a tad arrogant) knowledge, I'm also going to side with TNT1. I used to race *DH* with velociraptors back in the 90s, for crying out loud! They were plenty grippy. Of course, they're not the fastest rollers, but they're not dog slow either. Besides, having your cake and eating it is just plain greedy Wink

It sounds like lack of grip is your issue (rather than rolling resistance), so give the 'raptors a try!

Mountain Kings get my vote aswell. I got the Protection version from CRC for R440ea (included in a free shipping order). BUT if Pro-bike would just pull their thumbs out of their stinkers and bring in Maxxis Ignitors I would change. I had them on before and just loved them.