Upgrading from Mongoose 2008 Tyax Super

dracaena

I've had the Mongoose for about 9 months now and before that a Silverback Alpine. The Mongoose was a nice step up. Love those SRAM's.

BUT I'm now at the stage where I'd like to improve my racing times and spend less every month on crappy \ cheap part maintenance.

My LBS suggested I buy the Silverback Sierra. They'll sell it to me for R11 500. (The girlfriend wants me to get the Michigan, since it is prettier, but that's over R15 000 and baby's schoolfees is already spent!)

Even the Sierra is a lot of money. But if it is going to cut back on my maintenance costs and racing time, I might consider it.

Anyone out there that are willing to share some of their expert advice?

Anything wrong with the frame? If not keep the frame and buy a good groupset from CWC and a set of wheels. That way you will not spend R11000,00 and have a bike that can take the hammering.

The frame is still good, but I was told it was quite heavy.

I've also been told that it is cheaper buying a new bike than upgrading, especially from an "entry-level" bike like the Tyax. (I paid about R7700 for it.)

Will spending R5200 on a Shimano SLX Groupset or R6600 on a Shimano XT Groupset  really make that big a difference?

I'm still fairly green, so excuse the dumb question, but how will a groupset make a difference?

Will spending R5200 on a Shimano SLX Groupset or R6600 on a Shimano XT Groupset  really make that big a difference?

I'm still fairly green' date=' so excuse the dumb question, but how will a groupset make a difference?
[/quote']

In all honestly, I don't think so, but that's my opinion. Rather buy a new bike and be motivated all over again because it's a NEW bike!

There may be some bikes with better value for money out there than the Silverback though, I think Commencal is having a big sale, PM JDLAM, see if he can arrange something for you.