8 Speed to 9?

Justin

Hi

I currently have a 8 speed cassette (24 speed). Will I be able to upgrade to a 9 speed cassette, or should I upgrade the hub as well?

should be able to get away with it. Bear in mind that hubs aren't cassette specific, unless you're talking about Shimano & SRAM vs Campy cassettes.

Answer - yes you can. Unless it's a 25 year old 10 speed piece of poo. Then you just scrap the whole lot of gear and turn it into an SS rigid.

some hubs are for 8 speed only, others are for 9-10 speed casette. Let you LBS check out if it will fit a 9 speed casette. A new hub cost about R250 - R350.

The only difference between and an 8 speed and 9 speed besides number of sprockets is the spacing between the sprockets. The 8 speed chain is wider hence greater spacing of sprockets, the 9 speed in narrower hence the sprockets are closer together. We are talking MTB here, so your options are 8 or 9. 10 speed only applies to road bikes.

So 9 speed will fit on you current hub. Search the Tech Q&A this has been answered before.

You need

1) Cassette

2) 9 speed Shifters

3) 9 speed Chain

Check his other post re: upgrading or buying a new bike. He is looking at a Full XT M760 Groupset on his entry level bike.

Guest Agteros

Mudda I upgraded a 8 speed MTB a whike ago to 9 speed.

The catch was that the 8 speed had integrated gear/brake levers, which required that the brakes had to be upgraded as well

So for me it was:

9 speed cassette

9 speed chain

9  speed gear levers (at a pinch the front gear lever can be left as is - but it won't look good!)

new brake levers / callipers (excuse to go hydraulic) - still using the old rotors.

Got sorted between the hub (brakes) and Solomons in Pta (balance)

some hubs are for 8 speed only' date=' others are for 9-10 speed casette. Let you LBS check out if it will fit a 9 speed casette. A new hub cost about R250 - R350.[/quote']

Hmmmph! *** advice.  Nowadays only older Campag hubs care if they're 8 or 9/10 speed. On Shimano compatible freehubs, all 8, 9 and 10 speed hubs (with the exception of some new Dura Ace stuff) are compatible.

But that's only half the story. A rubbish hub costs about that, yes, but you'll have to rebuild the wheel, which will cost you R300 per wheel. Then there's the matter of new spokes at R9.50 per spoke and you better hope the rims are still good.

If you don't know the answer, don't answer the question. Look up Male Answer Syndrome, you may suffer from it.