The Downhill Thread

DownhillingKing

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks but if my design works, you'll be seing the next sa brand, dh bike. The frame is aimed at between 3.5kg - 4kg.

210mm rear wheel travel. a very low leaverage ratio on the initial shock stroke and ramps up to get a very soft bottom out.

Dam riding that you would have to have alot of faith in the person steering!!! Here is the frame I would like to build they are really really light well so I have heard!20090922_122846_Frame.jpg

Bakkies: what's the kinematics of your linkage? Do you have some software that shows the travel? or even a rough diagram?

Bakkies: what's the kinematics of your linkage? Do you have some software that shows the travel? or even a rough diagram?

I wrote my own excel program with all the motions kinematics, leaverage ratios and so forth. My cad is a freeware and is limited. but i'm saving up for a full package to do a finite element analysis. The bike will be world class. I've already designed the welding procedures and manufacturing specs. these pics are some of my earlier designs. i'm testing weather the design looks good enough to market.

if it's a Dh bike, then it's more important how it works than how it looks. Form will follow function.

but again, what's the intended kinematics of your suspension, especially the rear? i doubt it's a trade secret cos up and back, or just up, are common nouns, and frankly, probably all useful kinematics have been explored and used on past and current frames.

I'm simply interested in the type of setup one can expect from the way you've decided your rear suspension. From which current suspension design do you take your design cue from? horst linkage etc...?

Capricorn: I agree function over fancy looks and no design is unique but simple alterations to the geometry can deliver great results. A huge case study has been done to select the best design.Before i designed the frame and looks, i designed the suspension so function first.

The rear wheel path will be allot like the vvp from santcruz. a intial low leaverage ratio and high ratio at the end of stroke.

Can't believe you guys never heard of it! So Bakkies if you paint the frame in red like a Ferrari with white writing and it has 8" or more travel and it turns out to be a great success I would be very keen how much would you sell a Frame for?