The Downhill Thread

DownhillingKing

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha  lol! Ride there! O cap my friend Nick got back from the UK and he kept his bike this was the oak with the cannondale that had the Shredded Dee max wheels that I was talking about ages ago!

yes' date=' it's called tubeless [img']https://assets.bikehub.co.za/legacy_images/smilies/smiley2.gif[/img]

THanks for CRC suggestion. So far, pretty happy with the high roller at the rear. Just a heads up: Very very sketch in very loose over hardpack.

anyone have any more info on the race YNH mentioned?

Hey man.

The race is being hosted by www.dirtopia.co.za

Sorry. I tried to copy the url from my browser and it screwed up my post. It's on the 3rd and 4th of April. I think it's on their new track out a Contemans Kloof. But don't quote me on that.

There's also a shuttle day next Sunday at Paarl. R100 for the day and you can ride any of the 3 tracks. Remember it's Argus day so if you coming from the South or the city bowl you need to plan your routes and timing very well.

On the May Day weekend is the Dirtopia festival in Greyton. Sick fun. My accomodation is already booked. I ain't a camping type of person.

2 weeks thereafter is the national in George. The George track is amazing and TOTALLY different to anything we have here.

The 2 most popular places to stay are the pine lodge. perfectly fine if you plan to bring the wife or have germ issues. And the George tourist resort. NOT great but cheap. 4 people in a rondawel. double bunks. But on the up side the skate park is right across the road so bring the hard tail too.

your_name_here2010-03-04 02:18:31

hey Duane thanks for the info. I emailed dirtopia, but by last night I had no reply, so thanks for providing the missing info.

?

When you going back to SLoP (sir lowry's pass)? I would luv to tag along, and admittedly, to leach off some shuttle action. Pushing up that track is a mission of note.

Is the shuttle day at Paarl this sunday, or the following? Would luv to go there before they tile up the playground. Also, Angus was saying something abotu a group ride, so this is good. real good. Paarl is real nice.

wrt george, what's different about it compared to the stuff we have here, re SLoP, Tokai, Paarl et al?

Capricorn2010-03-04 04:53:34

Hey man.

When we go back to slop. (*** funny acronym) you are deff on the invite list. I saw Rika the other day at the spar and she is keen too. It's all good with the shuttle thing. Why do you think I bought a double cab?

The shuttle day is next Sunday. Argus day. 14/03/2010. I think Angus and I are talking about the same thing.

Let's see George... Well. the sart of the track is 5 rock gardens. Or 1 really long one. Depends on your pint of view. It's not hard but hard to go fast up there. then it gets really flowy and fast. into the forest its slow and hard to carry speed.

Then it's gets steep. there's a rock shute like Tokai but longer and faster. then you drop in to the bottom of the track. 2 *** big doubles. 3 of the sickest berms ever and a table to finish.

The nationals are cool cos you get to practice for 2 days before the race. practice starts at 1 on the friday. the whole of saturday and till 10 on Sunday. there is a fun class for kooks like me so you won't have Pottie chasing you down or anything scary like that.

Oh. And don't be intimidated.

The only difference between the race you did on the weekend and the nationals is the Natal crew will be there with their shiny kit and pimped out bikes.

The same dude is gonna win and you will have just as much fun.

if ican get my sh*t together, i reckon i wont be too intimidated. Just I need to practice a few crucial skills before i head off to George. A race is not exactly the best place to practice them, but hey, gots to work with what ever time I have.. smiley6.gif

dude, u've got to make a plan with transport. I need to get another bike rack, so maybe I can pick u up on my way to wherever? This Saris rack wasnt really made for DH frames, much less more than one frame.

Urban assault track is always open. It's hardly a proper race worthy track. so much less a track in the strict sense. But it's just fun to blast down.

Quick tech question... I'm looking at buying a morewood Izimu DH (kinda old...2005)... was wondering if anyone knows off hand what the rear travel is on one of those.

If I can I want to turn it into a freeride machine. It has a downtube to mount a FD... and if the rear travel is 7" or there abouts, I'll put a 180mm fork on the front. But if it's 8"... I may have to keep it as a DH rig?!

Anyone got any insight for me!?

215 morewood Izimu travel 8" but freeride bike look on the site 5 stars for FR and 3 for DH.

Cap those transport problem should hopefully be sorted out in 2 years time. Will still have one problem Dad wants to give me the Fiat Panda, I can't fit my front wheel in that car!

What other races are there that aren't so far. O and is the Urban Asault track still open I want to give that a bash.

Dirtopia. You've GOT to go. please. promise me you will go. It's such good fun. The track isn't that challenging but it's loads of fun and the freeride, DJ's and night duel are just awesome.

The urban track is always open. there's 3 variants of it as far as i know. They all start on the fire road on the lions rump road

1. The old course. Proper urban with loads of steps. it end's on the green steps on wale street. Watch out for old ladies and kids on the stairs.

2. the track that was raced. you can't ride the school section

3. i've never ridden this one but it aparently turns off the fire road where the red bull arch was at the race.

There's also another track on the other side. it's on the road on the way up to the cable station.

Some people dig it but i think it's lame.