The Downhill Thread

DownhillingKing

cant make the morning. I might go practice jumping at The Mill later the morning but only for a very short stint. I have some running around to do, then it's afternoon shift at work. ffs :(

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im done! Cap you gonna join us?

We leaving at 0930 tomo morn.

Is there a place nearby the monument we can get decent munchies? or should we rather bring our own?

Stryder, thanks for the info! Always nice to have some pre-ride beta!

Amped!

Hey

Just follow the signs to the Taalmonument...Get off the N1 (onto Main Road), then first left (a watermill on your left), left, long straight to a dead end and turn right, then left again and then a final right and you are on your way to the tracks.

There is a restaurant at the top of Taalmonument which is very cool. Do the table top, grab some beers and then go back and do more runs. Stefan and I will probably ride as well. Sunday is gonna rain though, then the tracks get even more technical!

gamut is good. Damn good. Minnaar cant be wrong :P By most accounts, it's easier and less finicky to mount than E.13, and frankly, i think E.13 took a leaf outta Gamut's design book if u look at the top guide on the new 2010 SRS+.

this is the sort of 'traditional' topguide on the E.13 range:

post-6789-050335700 1284746984.jpg

And the SRS+ has changed to the following with gamut on the left for comparison:

post-6789-068894600 1284746985.jpg

THe top guide on the 2010 SRS+ seeems to be a shorter version of the one found on the 2009 STP trials and SRS MTX models, but it's still a recent addition to E.13s product portfolio, whereas Gamut's had there's for a while now.

note: i'm just e-speccing cos i'm bored outta my skull :P

as for Oakley Icon Sender, i was just loading up the 720p version. It already looks just supersick!

Think I'm going to try one out. . . Given up on making my own can't come up with any original designs. What guide have you got now?

How much suspension sag are you guys running on your bikes?

we should list our specs as per that list for the Pro's somewhere in this thread: equipment, shock and fork settings, tyre type + pressures, bike weight, bar rise and width, crank teeth and pedal length etc. should be interesting. but we need another thread for that. Admin promised someting would happen this weekend in that regard :)

lol. no you can of course creat threads (dunno where it suggetsed we wont.. but ok u probably on the sauce again :P ). It's just gonna be a bit more organized than this singular thread :)

you know they use thin washers called shims to control the compression damping in a fork and shock? Well, using more or less shims in a stack (hence the phrase shim stack) controls when damping ports are open or not for compression damping.

Race forks are incredibly stiff even by parking lot testing standards. It's fairly logical to understand considering how much faster WC riders are than us mere mortals. So they hit stuff harder, and cant have the fork dive on them each time and bottoming out. So they need higher compression damping, and thus the need for non-standard/custom shim stacks.

ohbtw DHK: i might go jumping with Angus tomorrow at The Mill. He gonna give me some pointers. I wanted to visit your jump track this weekend as well, but i have to work afternoon shifts... ffs. hopefully, next weekend (longer weekend!) will be more convenient. But will give you a shout beforehand. :)

so when u getting a decent rear shock? DHX 5.0's shold be pretty cheap. but i still say get a vivid. you wont go wrong. promise.