WARNING UITENHAGE RIDERS

Jadon

OK, maybe I was taking a chance, but took a spin over the Hillwacht Rd last night at about 8:30. (no problem if you know Brighter-lights) On my return, coming up the hill from the Jansenville Rd side, some maniac took two shots at me, bullets whistling through the bush. It was at that farmhouse quite near the road with the blue free-standing pool and the big dogs. Needless to say, the rest of the ride home was a tad tense, what with waiting for the 3rd shot between the shoulderblades! Nothing like a farm road in the dark to get your imagination working overtime........  I intend to find out what the heck was going on and will report back later.

Were you tresspasing on private property?

If not...it must have been illegal hunting at night...Kudu season?

Hey no, I was riding on a public road! May have been hunters..... there is quite a bit of game in the area. Never sh@t myself more in my life!!

BTW- Plenty of kudu in the Eastern Cape, gutterhugger!

Maybe the farmer/farm security thought you were the poacher (single beam light ).Shooting at poachers has been known to happen.

Which road is it - My Inlaws are there, and I sometimes go out on rides by myself - let me know which road to miss. Tar or Dirt?

Flea its the gravel road heading out of the North side of Uitenhage, at the back of Vanes Estate.

Ok - the one past the dump? been on that one often, my in-laws in Vanes. Only once at night though

Went over to the farm on Saturday. A young bloke directed me to an old hillbilly with a warning to be careful 'want dai oom is befok'. Chatted to the old timer, he thought it a huge joke and admitted to firing the shots. Said that his neighbour had advised him of a poacher on the way up to his farm. He decided to teach this poacher a lesson. 'Die mense moet weet ons slaap wakker hier op die Hillwacht!' So there you have it. My light was obviously mistaken for that of a hunter. He said that he wasn't aiming to kill. Some comfort!! The farm is called Klipdrift. After a few brandies do you shoot straight when you are trying to miss?

Yip, grew up in Old UTH...(Brandwagter)

In those days...any light after dark in winter means only one thing...poaching Kudu's!!

Better cycle in daylight around thereWink

Went over to the farm on Saturday. A young bloke directed me to an old hillbilly with a warning to be careful 'want dai oom is befok'. Chatted to the old timer' date=' he thought it a huge joke and admitted to firing the shots. Said that his neighbour had advised him of a poacher on the way up to his farm. He decided to teach this poacher a lesson. 'Die mense moet weet ons slaap wakker hier op die Hillwacht!' So there you have it. My light was obviously mistaken for that of a hunter. He said that he wasn't aiming to kill. Some comfort!! The farm is called Klipdrift. After a few brandies do you shoot straight when you are trying to miss?[/quote']

Ok... after taking a few minutes to calm myself down I'm ready to reply calmly....

Daai ou het al op my ook geskiet - helder oordag. Hy't met die geweer in die deur gestaan soos ons verby ry (ons was toe nog besig om afdraend te ry)  Armand du Preez (die groot rugby speler) was saam met my.

Toe ons terugkom, het ons by die huis gestop en Armand se bloed het effe begin kook. Die oom het erken dat hy geskiet het. Hy't gese daar was 'n aap in die boom en hy het na die aap geskiet.

Ek en Madelein het gisteraand teen laat skemer daar verby gekom. Die lug was nog pienk toe ons by daardie huis verby ry. 'n Wit Mazda bakkie wat ook daar ingaan, het my al van my fiets probeer afry. Ek dink elke keer ek gaan sy ruit met 'n klip stukkend gooi en wie ook al daar uitklim doodskop maar ek doen niks.

Wat gaan ons omtrent dit doen? 'n Brief skryf vir al daai boere en hulle se dat ons in die nag daar ry of wat? Ek kan verstaan dat hulle oor skelm jagters bekommerd is. Ek sien gereeld wild daar in die nag. Gisteraand 'n rooibok gesien.

Ek's game vir aksie. Ek dink hulle skiet net omdat hulle lus is om te skiet.

Went over to the farm on Saturday. A young bloke directed me to an old hillbilly with a warning to be careful 'want dai oom is befok'. Chatted to the old timer' date=' he thought it a huge joke and admitted to firing the shots. Said that his neighbour had advised him of a poacher on the way up to his farm. He decided to teach this poacher a lesson. 'Die mense moet weet ons slaap wakker hier op die Hillwacht!' So there you have it. My light was obviously mistaken for that of a hunter. He said that he wasn't aiming to kill. Some comfort!! The farm is called Klipdrift. After a few brandies do you shoot straight when you are trying to miss?[/quote']

Ok... after taking a few minutes to calm myself down I'm ready to reply calmly....

Daai ou het al op my ook geskiet - helder oordag. Hy't met die geweer in die deur gestaan soos ons verby ry (ons was toe nog besig om afdraend te ry)  Armand du Preez (die groot rugby speler) was saam met my.

Toe ons terugkom, het ons by die huis gestop en Armand se bloed het effe begin kook. Die oom het erken dat hy geskiet het. Hy't gese daar was 'n aap in die boom en hy het na die aap geskiet.

Ek en Madelein het gisteraand teen laat skemer daar verby gekom. Die lug was nog pienk toe ons by daardie huis verby ry. 'n Wit Mazda bakkie wat ook daar ingaan, het my al van my fiets probeer afry. Ek dink elke keer ek gaan sy ruit met 'n klip stukkend gooi en wie ook al daar uitklim doodskop maar ek doen niks.

Wat gaan ons omtrent dit doen? 'n Brief skryf vir al daai boere en hulle se dat ons in die nag daar ry of wat? Ek kan verstaan dat hulle oor skelm jagters bekommerd is. Ek sien gereeld wild daar in die nag. Gisteraand 'n rooibok gesien.

Ek's game vir aksie. Ek dink hulle skiet net omdat hulle lus is om te skiet.

skop hom!

I am wondering if any cyclists from any country other than good old South Africa would believe this stuff. And then the solution for us is to simply try to get the old geezer to stop taking pot shots so we can ride in peace.

Got to love it.