why do you taste "blood"

fandacious

I think i have an answer for the tasting blood question. I am a med student but I didnt hear this from anyone remotely associated with medicine, although it makes sense to me... Here goes - the metallic taste that you taste in blood is actually the iron in the haemoglobin molecules in your red blood cells. When you are exercising at your maximum your lungs are straining to try transfer enough O2 into the blood stream and CO2 back out into the alveoli. Now here's where I'm unsure of the medical accuracy - during the straining, the membrane lining the alveoli may become dry and allow some red blood cells to pass through with the CO2 that they are carrying instead of just removing the CO2. These microscopic cells are then exhaled as a fine mist that you can taste...

Now I'm not saying this is accurate, so dont take me apart, its just what I heard...

Are there any real doctors that want to tell us the real reason?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The rulle of thumb says that 220 less your age is your theoretical max HR.

So for example' date=' I am 36 and my max should be 184. But I can go up to 200 for short periods of time ( 1 - 2 mins max ) I can maintain a rate of 190 for 10 - 15 mins. I have had this hapen to me before in the spinning class.
[/quote']

Cheese and rice ur lactate levels mmust b seriously high, very cool.

From coaching by old guns i know that when u over exerting the heart and push 2much you will get the blood taste in your mouth. but its really more a metallic taste and that is when your muscles are using all the oxygen in the blood cells which does not get replaced fast enough (hence ur heart rate is through the roof and u haacking like a dog, making u look like this Pinch lol) so then your blood cells start breaking down and start releasing iron thus causing the metallic taste.

Aaaaa my insitive info for the weekend, and im spent hahaha. LOL

Even though the comment that was made by mtb_Josh is correct, there are way too many reasons why you why you can get a metal taste in your mount.

To name but a view it can be due to
a brain tumour,
bone marrow disease,
the common flu
cancer
peptic ulcer
food allergy
lichen planus
marine toxins
too much iron
hypercalcemia
lead poisoning
kidney disease
copper overdose
selenium toxicity
mercury poisoning
iodine intoxication
acute kidney failure
burning mouth syndrome
type of food or vitamins you take.

Ok I?m not saying run out and get a CT scan, what I am saying is that there are a lot of possible answers to your question.

The following reasons will most likely be what you are looking for, but again there are literally hundreds of reasons why.

First a few assumptions.
1. It is winter time
2. Exercising in dry not too humid conditions
3. Probable had a flu recently
4. And no infections or cuts in the mouth
5. And not on antibiotics.
6. Lastly that you have not been poisoned

i. Likely it may be that whilst you are exercising you throat dries up to such a degree that it start saturating blood into you month. This commonly will come from the back of your throat or the bridge.
Rehydrating and taking in electrodes while exercising is very important.

ii. Another uncommon reason for a metallic taste in mouth is due to small electric currents in the mouth. 150 Watts springs to mind ;O) -- When two types of metals are used in two different dental fillings a battery can be created whilst creating a charge / release of energy whilst you are exercising. This causes high level of acidity in the mouth which will provide a metal taste.

iii. Anchovy, Tuna or Sardines for lunch

iv. Heartburn

If it is persistent even when exercising lightly or with no exercise visit your doc.

mpcombrink2009-08-20 23:28:19

I've never tasted blood before from exercising "too hard". Am I doing it wrong?

Big%20smilemikkelz2009-08-20 23:32:46

I've never tasted blood before from exercising "too hard". Am I doing it wrong? Big%20smile

Playing XBox does not count Tongue

The rulle of thumb says that 220 less your age is your theoretical max HR.

So for example' date=' I am 36 and my max should be 184. But I can go up to 200 for short periods of time ( 1 - 2 mins max ) I can maintain a rate of 190 for 10 - 15 mins. I have had this hapen to me before in the spinning class.
[/quote']

220 - age is a stupid calculation for the following reason. if you sample 100 athletes, their average max HR will be 220-age BUT on an individual basis, not one of them will have a max of 220-hr.

so dont ever use 220-hr for your calculations.

rather get your max tested

I think i have an answer for the tasting blood question. I am a med student but I didnt hear this from anyone remotely associated with medicine' date=' although it makes sense to me... Here goes - the metallic taste that you taste in blood is actually the iron in the haemoglobin molecules in your red blood cells. When you are exercising at your maximum your lungs are straining to try transfer enough O2 into the blood stream and CO2 back out into the alveoli. Now here's where I'm unsure of the medical accuracy - during the straining, the membrane lining the alveoli may become dry and allow some red blood cells to pass through with the CO2 that they are carrying instead of just removing the CO2. These microscopic cells are then exhaled as a fine mist that you can taste...
Now I'm not saying this is accurate, so dont take me apart, its just what I heard...
Are there any real doctors that want to tell us the real reason?[/quote']

thanks josh - that makes the most sense

Even though the comment that was made by mtb_Josh is correct' date=' there are way too many reasons why you why you can get a metal taste in your mount.

a brain tumour,
bone marrow disease,
the common flu
cancer
peptic ulcer
food allergy
lichen planus
marine toxins
too much iron
hypercalcemia
lead poisoning
kidney disease
copper overdose
selenium toxicity
mercury poisoning
iodine intoxication
acute kidney failure
burning mouth syndrome

Ok I?m not saying run out and get a CT scan, what I am saying is that there are a lot of possible answers to your question.

The following reasons will most likely be what you are looking for, but again there are literally hundreds of reasons why.

First a few assumptions.
1. It is winter time

i. Likely it may be that whilst you are exercising you throat dries up to such a degree that it start saturating blood into you month. This commonly will come from the back of your throat or the bridge.

ii. Another uncommon reason for a metallic taste in mouth is due to small electric currents in the mouth. 150 Watts springs to mind ;O) -- When two types of metals are used in two different dental fillings a battery can be created whilst creating a charge / release of energy whilst you are exercising. This causes high level of acidity in the mouth which will provide a metal taste.

iv. Heartburn

If it is persistent even when exercising lightly or with no exercise visit your doc.

[/quote']

these are only a problem if you are NOT exercising hard.

i am not sick, have not been sick, do not have *any* medical condition. it *only* happens when i exercise way harder than my body is used to.

however, if you taste blood and you arent exercising - go see a doc

Even though the comment that was made by mtb_Josh is correct' date=' there are way too many reasons why you why you can get a metal taste in your mount.

a brain tumour,
bone marrow disease,
the common flu
cancer
peptic ulcer
food allergy
lichen planus
marine toxins
too much iron
hypercalcemia
lead poisoning
kidney disease
copper overdose
selenium toxicity
mercury poisoning
iodine intoxication
acute kidney failure
burning mouth syndrome

First a few assumptions.
1. It is winter time

iv. Heartburn

[/quote']

these are only a problem if you are NOT exercising hard.

i am not sick, have not been sick, do not have *any* medical condition. it *only* happens when i exercise way harder than my body is used to.

however, if you taste blood and you arent exercising - go see a doc

What I am trying to say was that during sport the participant often goes through long periods of heavy breathing which tends to be mainly through the mouth. This results in the tongue becoming dry. This contributes to the metallic sensation as your main taste receptors are on the tongue.

Couple the above with a the fact that the pH balance of saliva changes during exercise which alters the taste of the saliva and you have the cause of your metallic mouth.

Again there are a lot of reasons why that can happen. As long as it does not persist you are fine.

Id referred to a few journals on your specific question on ?over exercising? and found a paper in the New England Journal of Medicine describing what you are talking about.
It states:
?
A metallic taste in the mouth is a sign of the body detoxifying itself. I get this with my clients when they start eating correctly for their body chemistry (Metabolic typing) and / or when they undertake specific detoxification procedures.

The body can detoxify metals which enter from our environment, food and water supply in various ways. Metals are deposited in the hair, bones, fat and various other tissues. if the body feels healthy enough it will clear out the metals and this can take the form of metal being deposited through the mouth. Aerobic exercise is a powerful body cleanse. The problem could be exacerbated by your mouth being dry which makes you more sensitive to taste.

This process should stop over time. If it doesn't it would suggest you are consuming something which is contaminating your body. However, the fact your body is dumping the metals out is a good sign as this bad taste in the mouth is much better than metal being deposited within the tissues such as bones etc.
?
Hopes this makes things clearer.

Start your check by going to the dentist.

Have your bone loss and gums checked properly.

Do you clench your teeth when you ride? Or chew something? you might not even know your doing it!

Then have a urine test for red blood cells

Do you / have you ever had nosebleeds?
tarboy2009-08-21 10:10:39

What I am trying to say was that during sport the participant often goes through long periods of heavy breathing which tends to be mainly through the mouth. This results in the tongue becoming dry. This contributes to the metallic sensation as your main taste receptors are on the tongue.

Couple the above with a the fact that the pH balance of saliva changes during exercise which alters the taste of the saliva and you have the cause of your metallic mouth.

Again there are a lot of reasons why that can happen. As long as it does not persist you are fine.

Id referred to a few journals on your specific question on ?over exercising? and found a paper in the New England Journal of Medicine describing what you are talking about.

It states:

?

A metallic taste in the mouth is a sign of the body detoxifying itself. I get this with my clients when they start eating correctly for their body chemistry (Metabolic typing) and / or when they undertake specific detoxification procedures.

The body can detoxify metals which enter from our environment' date=' food and water supply in various ways. Metals are deposited in the hair, bones, fat and various other tissues. if the body feels healthy enough it will clear out the metals and this can take the form of metal being deposited through the mouth. Aerobic exercise is a powerful body cleanse. The problem could be exacerbated by your mouth being dry which makes you more sensitive to taste.

This process should stop over time. If it doesn't it would suggest you are consuming something which is contaminating your body. However, the fact your body is dumping the metals out is a good sign as this bad taste in the mouth is much better than metal being deposited within the tissues such as bones etc.

?

Hopes this makes things clearer.

[/quote']

i have never had it before during aerobic exercise.

it *only* happens during anaerobic intervals. bear in mind i am pretty fit  and am riding 6 days a week, so its not because of unfitness. I think the previous explanation of fine blood particles is the best.

bear in mind - i only taste metal. there is blood in my saliva or anything like that. .

so what is the blood/metallic taste when exercising hard?

Mineral bonk.

It's like a sugar bonk, but you're lacking some kind of mineral.  Usual culprits: zinc, calcium, magnesium, potassium.

I'm not a doctor, but it's my guess based on personal experience.  Do not just arbitrarily start taking multivitamins to fix it, please.  If I'm wrong, you could make it worse.

I've never tasted blood before from exercising "too hard". Am I doing it wrong? Big%20smile

Playing XBox does not count Tongue

LOL LOL

I read that your body's PH balance changes to acidic when you go over threshold. Perhaps that's why you can taste a difference.