Safety - D2D

Trubie

So much was said after the Carousel about safety and road surface etc. Would like to get an opinion on D2D and the safety and condition of the roads. Personally I have never seen so many waterbottles being lost due to the poor surface as today, also saw and heard of many more accidents than in Carousel.

Anyone else?

Water bottles.... those rumble strips before you turn left onto Malibonge (early in the race)... Starting in JL, I've NEVER seen that many water bottles together at the side of the road... 'twas hectic! Looked like a water bottle truck overturned there, there were THAT many!

The road through the Cradle area was VERY narrow.. scary stuff to share that with traffic

Coming down the highway ... eishhh not good! There were a few other areas where I though they had to put cones down to keep cyclists and car traffic apart....

Fortunately I   did not see nor hear about accidents

I have to say that I was not impressed - road surfaces, glass on the road, cars trying to overtake, little marchaling (though the marchals that there were were good) etc. etc.

(though this is tempered by the d!cks that insist on riding 5-abreast when the road is open, and then there is those who seem totally incapable of keeping to the left of the white line! - So, in some ways, we're out own worst enemies!)

I have to say that I was not impressed - road surfaces' date=' glass on the road, cars trying to overtake, little marchaling (though the marchals that there were were good) etc. etc.

(though this is tempered by the d!cks that insist on riding 5-abreast when the road is open, and then there is those who seem totally incapable of keeping to the left of the white line! - So, in some ways, we're out own worst enemies!)
[/quote']

also true, but those dickheads will unfortunately always be with us - ok maybe not always, only till they get hit by the cars from opp directionDead

When u come off the n14 and turn left towards avianto, two or three riders on the other side of the pavement, they went right over. 4 or 5 riders were assisting them. The ambulance was on its way and passed us about two minutes later. lots of roasties.

I generally found the marshalling quote good. The were oftern TB marshalls around on their bikes and the marshalls at the intersections were quite good too.

The only gripes I have is that the road markings at the rumble strips were non existant. They could have painted the roads to mark them and give cyclists time to react.

Many corners were also full of sand which seriously broke speed going into corners. Having started in H cat it made for some interesting riding this morning with some cyclists thinking they were LA and others looking for parking going into the corners. The marshalls could have taken a broom and swept the corners before the cyclists came through. 

Unfortunately the organisers cannot check every meter of the course for glass etc. As for the traffic, I found it to be ok, with the most motorists being very considerate and patient. I don't think I heard any hooters out of anger. 

Other than that I found it was a fairly well organised event. I will definitely be back next year.

I train in this area and knew what to expect so no real problems for me. I keep left and dont worry about the other idiots trying to kill themselves.

C'mon folks, some of these "complaints" are just ridiculous. We can't honestly expect marshals or race organisers to sweep a race route to get rid of sand. glass etc. Get real.

As for waterbottles, I cannot understand how you lose a waterbottle. Adjust your cage so your bottle fits snugly for heaven's sake.

I thought it was a well organised race and didn't see any crashes.

Some intersections, such as the 2 for the N14 (old R28) should have been manned ... They were not...

thought the marshalling was very good!

glass and waterbottles not bugging me, we live in Africa....but there was one turn (cant remember how far in) but you hit a T-junction and turned left and there was so much sand you almost had to go to a walking pace to be safe...

and at the end going down to the finish, about last 5km the pace was high cause of the very negative steep decent and the road was narrow cause of the yellow sign barrier things.

I wasnt there but was told that in a licenced category on of the very strong contenders crashed into a barrier at high speed and snapped his handlebars. Dont want to say names cause dunno if he wants this to be public knowlege.

I recon a good race all in all, I managed to stay left of the white line 99.9% of the time.

I agree that the marshals and orginisers did a very good Job and I like the actual (Vehicles) visability of the new sponsor, using company vehicles to act as sweepers.smiley32.gif

I say that when racing we have to deal with the road conditions as they are there is no way that organisers can sweep etc.......Think Pari Robaix...

Sorry to hear of one or two crashes, hope all involved are ok!

No real problems, we hit the first rumble strip and then just moved over, very simple...things got a little hairy when we caught the 40km riders but I am experienced enough to avoid them - great race and well organized, will be back for next years ed.

Rather take a bitch at the race results still not being available, different company name same service.MuXmAn2009-09-13 12:05:48

Rather take a bitch at the race results still not being available' date=' different company name same service.[/quote']

LOLLOL I had to smile at the start this morning when the announcer said the results would be available some time in the coming week and I remembered that there was a time when you could view your results the same evening as the race.

Rather take a bitch at the race results still not being available' date=' different company name same service.[/quote']

?

LOLLOL?I had to smile at the start this morning when the announcer said the results would be available some time in the coming week and I remembered that there was a time when you could view your results the same evening as the race.

I heard them say results should be up tomorrow. I didn't smile - I said WTF????? The results from the SilverStar MTB were up same afternoon!

I lost my water bottles over the rummble strips so thanks 4 the tip i will tighten my cages. My only issue was the fact that the first 2 water points had no water!! Only powerade (insulin spiking very bad so early in a race)

and i road with a dry mouth until the 26km to go mark. A very friendly bunch at that.

But overall i had a great ride (sub 3hour gr8 4 me) and i will b at the 94.7

with secured bottles!LOL

No problems with safety, marshals etc only crashes i heard and saw were those self inflicted by cyclists themselves. Nice to have the partial road closure.