New here - some advice please

pompy

Hi guys,

I want to get back into cycling - particularly off road - and would appreciate some advice on what to buy from between R5k and R10, new or second hand.

I live on a farm and so have endless kms of dirt road to ride on.

Once I'm fitt again I would like to get into off road races etc...

I would like front and rear shocks and disc brakes - or what is best?

I'm 30 yrs old, 1,8m tall and 93kgs... hoping to get back down to 85kgs...

What size bike do I need?

Any other advice?

Thanx,

Cheers

Id say a large full suspension, much more comfy. But if you dont want to spend too much, go hardtail. youll get better specs on a 10k hardtail than a 10k softail otherwise its pretty much personal preference. search thehub for "giant anthem" or "scott scale" and "merida"

Get a second hand dual suspension bike for R10k.  2/3 year old Giant Anthem would be my advice. LX/SLX components or XT if you get lucky.

DS for fun.

HT for racing.

Nuff said.

Better tell Burry Stander and Sauser that.  They seem to be confused by now racing their Spez DS's....

Hi guys' date='

I want to get back into cycling - particularly off road - and would appreciate some advice on what to buy from between R5k and R10, new or second hand.

I live on a farm and so have endless kms of dirt road to ride on.

Once I'm fitt again I would like to get into off road races etc...

I would like front and rear shocks and disc brakes - or what is best?

I'm 30 yrs old, 1,8m tall and 93kgs... hoping to get back down to 85kgs...

What size bike do I need?

Any other advice?

Thanx,

Cheers
[/quote']

Yep, you are spot on with that. Dirty roads = corrugations, which will shake your kidneys loose on a hard tail (front shock only) smiley2.gif

Best would be to go to a few bicycle shops, and get an idea of the sizing of the bikes. Pretend you are interested in buying and get to try different sizes. The assistants should be good enough to 'size you up' with one glance. Different manufacturers have different ways to express their sizes so Brand A's large/x-tra large might not be as comfortable as Brand B's...

After that, search on here for a second hand bike in your area....

DS for fun.

HT for racing.

Nuff said.

Better tell Burry Stander and Sauser that.  They seem to be confused by now racing their Spez DS's....

Those two can race on tricycles and still win. For me as a mere back of the ride rider a HT is perfect.

Thanx for all the advice guys - I appreciate the prompt responses.

Willehond, I've done a search on Giant Anthem... I want one. So the search has begun. I need to make sure though I get the right size.

Mansie, I am in the Frankfort area.