29 er tires

trevorhough40

Had Bontrager Jones UST on my trail bike and had the biggest sidewall blowout I have ever seen or experienced on the rear wheel while "just riding along".... They also had crap grip. Stay away.

My riding partner had the same issues - managed 3 DNF's this year alone due to Bonti's "strong as a wet piece of loo roll" sidewalls. He also had a sidewall blow out on smooth hardpack with not a rock/piece of glass/blade of grass in sight...

I ride Conti Race Kings 2.2 front and back and I've done about 500km without a hassle. They were bought locally. The norm seems to be a Race King/Mountain King combo but I found the mountain king was a bit too knobble and didn't roll that fast - probably has more grip though...

Grip is great on hard pack/sand/rocks but I think the Race Kings will struggle in mud (like most other not mud specific tyres).

I have:

Continental Mountain King 29 Foldup each R346.28
Continental Mountain Race King 29 Foldup each R346.28

Was going to mention that you had them but forgot... Great tyres - awesome price Kiwi!

I ride mine tubeless with Joe's conversion no hassles whatsoever.

Oh and here is all you ever wanted to know about 29 inch tyres: http://mtbtires.com/site2/tire-specs/65-700c--29q/62-29q-700c-tire-specs

Currently running a non-tubeless WTB Exi Raptor as (ghetto) tubeless on my 29er ... no problems yet.

Had Bontrager Jones UST on my trail bike and had the biggest sidewall blowout I have ever seen or experienced on the rear wheel while "just riding along".... They also had crap grip. Stay away.

Replaced the UST Bonty with WTB Wolverines' date=' non UST and running them tubeless...again, no problems to date. 

I'm keen to try those 2.2 29er Wolverines, MTB KID can you contact me or place a post when you have them available?  
[/quote']

Will post when they land. Just waiting for WTB to give us the greenlight on having the new UST 26 Wolverine 2.2's in stock --- then we can ship. I have the 29ers on backorder, so no problems there.

Just had a look through the list and the Conti is the only one with a TPI 0f 180 - the rest are 120 or 60!!!

Just buy them...

Thanks.

Even though the price of the Contis are great and l like to support kiwi I must say I am a bit sceptical about the Contis. One of my friends has a UST Moutain King on the back of his hardtail. He has done about 200km with it and the tyre has had a tear on the sidewall and a puncture on the tread that required a plug. Tyre looks like it has done 2000km already

Has anyone used Crossmark 29" tyres. I have heard that they are beaded / non foldable and cannot be converted to tubeless. I got more than 2000 km out of the UST 26" Crossmark with not one flat.

SteveS2009-10-07 03:03:35