running multiple chains

trevorhough40

Leave the darn thing alone!!!!

Only remove a chain once it's worn - you're causing more cactus with removing/installing on the links, creating weak points that might just decide to leave this live when you're in a bunch sprint to the line

Leave the darn thing alone!!!!

Only remove a chain once it's worn - you're causing more cactus with removing/installing on the links' date=' creating weak points that might just decide to leave this live when you're in a bunch sprint to the line

[/quote']

Anyone that takes off his chain every now and then would know that you can't create a weak spot if you just undo the quicklink, which most people, or mtbers, have on their chains.

No one would break a chain with a chain breaker just to clean or change it....

If you look at this issue strictly from a engineering point of view it will make sense to run more than one chain for longer life on your cassette and chainring.

By using more than one chain you multiply the time it takes for one chain to stretch a certain amount by the number of chains you run at once, to give you the time it would take the whole system of chains to stretch that same amount. And since your cassette wear is directly proportional to the strecth in your chain you will multiply your cassette life by that same number.

Hope it makes sense...

If you look at this issue strictly from a engineering point of view it will make sense to run more than one chain for longer life on your cassette and chainring.

By using more than one chain you multiply the time it takes for one chain to stretch a certain amount by the number of chains you run at once' date=' to give you the time it would take the whole system of chains to stretch that same amount. And since your cassette wear is directly proportional to the strecth in your chain you will multiply your cassette life by that same number.

Hope it makes sense...
[/quote']

Not quite.

A chain that has not yet elongated by 0.5% does not contribute to cassette wear. Any wear up to that stage is from contact and friction that is exactly the same with a new or used (but not elongated) chain.

If you thus keep on swapping once the chain is at the end of its life or, keep on rotating multiple chains until they all reach the end of their life, the effect on the cassettte will be the same. 

This of course takes into account that all the chains in the experiment receive the same cleaning regimen.