Entry level event

benadeja

Hi ,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this question but what would be a nice entry level event for a beginner cyclist to enter , not too competitive just want to prove to myself that I can finish Smile a nice fun ride , less than 2 months cycling experience ...

Gauteng area.

Thanks for the advice. 

When would you like to start? Train this few months and then enter the 'Fast-one" in January. That was my first 100Km in my life and my time was 2:43.

What's the best approach to this , doing short hard rides (doing higher speeds over shorter distances) or doing further rides at slower speeds and building my endurance ?

Thanks as you can see I am a beginner Embarrassed but really enjoy the sport , I have a Raleigh RC3000 , is this cycle sufficient for these type of events ?

Thanks as you can see I am a beginner Embarrassed but really enjoy the sport ' date=' I have a Raleigh RC3000 , is this cycle sufficient for these type of events ?[/quote']

Yes for sure RC3000 is a great value for money bike

My first 'race' was last years 94.7 - and I dragged my 115kg round it on a full suspension mountain bike - so an RC3000 will be more than adequate.

I too was hooked, and did the Argus this year - I bought a road bike for that - though, with the wind, a MTB may have been a better option.

As others said, you'll not break any speed records at first, but a 100k 'race' is perfectly feasible for your first race.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the advice now the next question what is a decent average speed I should be able to keep up for the duration of the race to be able to finish before they end/cutoff most of these races ?

what is a decent average speed I should be able to keep up for the duration of the race to be able to finish before they end/cutoff most of these races ?

If you take the 94.7 with a 6-hour 'cut-off' (after the last start)

say 100km in 6 hours, that's an average of 16.66 km/h

The Argus is 110km with a 7-hour 'cut-off'

110km in 7 hours, that's an average of 15.72 km/h

Bear in mind that this is 'total' so, if you stop, your moving average needs to be higher.

I would say that you should aim, as a minimum, for an average of 18km/h

Thanks as you can see I am a beginner Embarrassed but really enjoy the sport ' date=' I have a Raleigh RC3000 , is this cycle sufficient for these type of events ?[/quote']

My first bike was a RC3000 and my first race was the Hyper to Hyper (now called the Fast One) back in 2004.

The bike is perfect for a beginner. Do some training, longer slower rides to build endurance and then later you can do some speed work. I would suggest joining a club if you haven't done so as their group rides will help you get bunch riding skills for the races. Most clubs should have beginner groups.

The RC3000 is the Toyota Corolla of cycling.

When you get Golf GTi legs, get a fancier bike.