Need help on first bike......

Hotwired

Hi, I need help in buying my first mtb. Wanting to start off-road riding. Looking for bike a little above entry level, but not more than R5500. Seen 2 options: 1 Silverback Phoenix R5500. 2 Merida matts 40-D R4500.

Silverback                                                 Merida

fork: suntour XCR LO                                 RST GILA ML 100
shifters: Deore                                          Shimano ST-M360
f derailleur: Deore                                     Alivio
r derailleur: SLX                                         Alivio
brake set: Shimano M486 hydraulic           hydaulic

Is the Silverback a  good buy for R5500? Is it worth spending the extra R1000? Are there any other new bikes around the R5000 mark that are a better option? Please help!

Personally I like Merida, I have the 2009 matts 40 v - it actually surprised me. I wasn't expecting it to last too long but it has put up with a lot of punishment and nothing has broken yet. BUT I hate the fork with a passion - i think its a suntour XTC or something. I have now upgraded to a nicer bike smiley4.gif

That said, the specs on the silverback are quite a bit better... SLX is miles ahead of alivio...

Hang around for a decent 2nd hand deal for that money. You're gonna want to upgrade from either of those bikes as soon as you realise how much fun MTB really is.