GROUP RIDING TIPS

charlotte

Hi All,

I am looking for group riding tips, is any one can help me on this, I would appreciate your time.

Thanks

I'm assuming you mean riding in a bunch in an organised race (so you're allowed to take up the whole lane).  If that's what you're asking, here are my tips.

1. Don't focus too much on the bike in front of you.  You need to look a little further forward than that and trust your periferal vision to alert you of any danger nearby.

2. If you find you're creeping up on the rider in front of you and you need to apply brakes, only use your rear brake and only gently.  The rear brake doesn't slow you down as quickly as the front one does and the rider behind you can see the rear brake calliper move, giving him/her some warning.  If you brake too sharply, someone might crash into the back of you.  At the very least some angry people will shout at you.  In an emergency, just do what you have to do to save yourself.

3. Don't overlap the wheel of the rider in front of you.  if your wheels touch, you (the rider behind) will be the one who crashes most of the time.

Those are the basic things I can remember from bunch riding (which was a long time ago).

ZeroPlay2009-10-30 00:08:36

Check this out.

Welcom to the hub.

The above links are all to bunch riding articles that can help you become a safer rider and feel more confident rding in a bunch / group.
Slave2009-10-30 01:33:00

2. If you find you're creeping up on the rider in front of you and you need to apply brakes' date=' only use your rear brake and only gently.? The rear brake doesn't slow you down as quickly as the front one does and the rider behind you can see the rear brake calliper move, giving him/her some warning.? If you brake too sharply, someone might crash into the back of you.? At the very least some angry people will shout at you.? In an emergency, just do what you have to do to save yourself.

[/quote']

Sorry ZeroPlay, I dont agree...

Proper bunch etiquette is not to use your brakes at all! You will be able to regulate your speed by moving out of the slipstream into the wind, or to stop pedaling for two or three revolutions. This means you have to concentrate!

I definitely don't look at the brake calipers in front of me, so I will never see that warning you suggested.

There is alway a nervous person in the bunch, riding on the brakes, that is also the guy that causes the bunch to crash. Best advice, ride in front of him, far in front!

In an emergency, like a puncture, stick your hand up in the air and let your momentum slow you down. Keep your line, do not try and cross to the side of the road until the whole bunch has passed and it is safe to do so.

First try and find one person in your home town to ride with.

If in Cape Town go to Table View, Kyllami on Tuesday night 17h00. Wednesday can get a bit rough.

If in JHB go to Midrand, Kyalami not sure on the days.

There is basic hand signals, very important cummunication.

Slowing down, puncture put one hand in the air, which direction you want to go left or right.

Drink from bottle, put hand out to the side before picking up bottle. When returning bottle, first show bottle to the side then replace bottle.

Always watching through the gaps three bikes in front of you, at no time do you turn around or try and see anything behind you. Stay focused on what is happenning in front of you.

Potholes, glass, rubbish, needs to be avoided. Someone in front will pass the message down the line, ie. smacking of the bum once or twice on the side where the problem is. As well as when there may be a runner/ pedestrian approching or passing a slow rider. If you need to change position left or right. Put your hand out to your side indicating your move, wait for response or voice your intention. If you need to stop dead try and cummunicate as much as possible warning anyone behind you of the trouble. If you need to stop take out your one shoe from pedal before you come to standstill. Try and keep your gears in easy motion when stopping at robots for better momentum when you pull away. You may find it safer on one side of the group, left on to the grass. As you learn try and practice moving around but staying to the back of the group. It will be slower at the back but safer. Adjust your gears as to the surface, uphill flat downhill. You will find it easier keeping the legs loose, relaxing after a climb, by turnning the  pedals gently on the down instead of just coasting or freewheeling. When approaching a climb, hill try and put yourself infront of the group.  But staying to one side as most of the group will now suddenly start bunching. Getting in everyones way, the faster fitter people do not always slow down just because of the hill, thus causing  a bit of congestion. If you had stayed at the back there is a big chance you would not manage to keep up with the group, thus starting in front gives you that chance to slip back as you get tired or can not manage. If you had stayed at the back you would have nowhere to go tothus you get left behind.

Always go out to enjoy and safe cycling.            
cytomax2009-10-30 15:38:51