Polar 200 CAD or GAMRIN EDGE 705

nyathi

I'm looking at investing in a heart rate monitor with ekstra's. I have been looking at the POLAR products, more specificly the 200 CAD. My brother suggested I go all out and get the GARMIN EDGE 705 bundle. But at just over R 4000.......EISH!!

That is a lot of money!

Your views please!

Kyk nyathi ek het n CS200 met cadens gebruik.  Nooit n enkele probleem gehad nie.  Toe brand ek om n Garmin te koop.  Nou ja ek koop toe die 305.  Wonderlike computer met ongelooflike funksies ,maar  Toe begin die probleme.  Die eenheid wil ewe skielik nie aan skakel nie.  Drie dae later skakel dit weer aan.  Tot op n dag dat glad nie wil aan skakel nie.  Ek stuur dit toe weg en moet se die mense by Avnic was baie gaaf en als maar ek was n maand sonder die garmin.  Hulle se die eenheid het overcharge.  Wel daarna het dit weer 2 maal so gemaak.  Na wat ek verneem het die 705 nie sulke probleme nie.  Wel dan moet dit n wonderlike computer wees.  Soos ek se die funksies is fantasties,  veral vir iemand wat baie alleen oefen.

What do you want to use it for? The CS200 and Edge 705 are very different animals.

Do you want to be able to record and download your rides? The Edge can do this, but in the Polats you need to be looking at the CS400, at least.

I would (and did) chose a 705 over a Polar for the following reasons:

- GPS tracking. You can download your ride history to see where you've been.

- ANT+ support. You can use the Edge with various ANT+ accessories such as a Powertap.

- Large screen with lost of data fields. If you wish, you can display moer than 16 different data fields on the Edge's various screens. It's simple to scroll through screen.

- Advanced workouts. You can program workouts with almost any combination of intervals with different HR, Cad, Power etc. targets for each one. This is great for setting up specific training sessions.

i went for the Edge 705 as I was feedup with Polar heart strap not functioning. Have not had a days problem with the 705.

Thanks for all the input, I guess its the 705 then!! Have to start saving now! nyathi2009-11-25 03:22:09

what polar stap do you guys have the t31/61 plastic coded belts or the one where you can replace the battery?

I have a Polar Wearlink HR strap (the one where you can disconnect the transmitter from the strap). I used to have problems with the HR pick-up, particularly after I'd wash the strap (in the washing machine, as instructed by Polar).

I solved the problem by giving the contacts a good clean with some Sotchbrite and a little bit of fine grit sandpaper. Since then I've made sure to dry the contacts after every use and to always store the transmitter disconnected from the strap. I've now been going for almost a year without any problems from the Polar.