Shimano XT Shifter service

GLuvsMtb

I have been using my Shimano XT Rapidfire shifters for 2 years now without hassle, but lately I am struggling with the front dereullieur shifting. When shifting up to a bigger chainring, the shifter gets "stuck" and I have to use my fingers to move it back into position. This is causing "miss fires" and is starting to affect my riding.

I suspect that the shifters simply need a good clean and a service, as I changed cables recently and the problem still persists.

Is the shifter something that I can try to service myself? I service most of the smaller items on my bike myself, but is worried that once I opened up the shifter, I'm not going to be able to get it back together.

Furthermore I want to know if there are any parts in the shifters that needs to be lubed, or does the unit run "dry"?

All you techies out there, please help Confused

This is a common problem and not one to stress about. The cheapskate solution is to buy a can of Q-Whatever and spray the insides of the shifter until it runs clear. No need to open it, just insert the nozzle into every conceivable orifice and spray. Best to take the cable out first. Also remove the little cap with the gear indicator on and test that for free movement. Often it is that cap that gets gunked up and is slowing down the rest of the mechanism.

If you have access to a ultrasound cleaner, dunk the shifter in there and give it a good 3 minutes in the cleaner, using a soapy solution. Then give it a light spray of the Q-stuff and your problems are solved.

Thanks Johan

Will give it a bash. New shifters is about 1k and I would like to rather spend the money on something nice for the missus. Sure way to score browniepoints!

Thanks Johan

Will give it a bash. New shifters is about 1k and I would like to rather spend the money on something nice for the missus. Sure way to score browniepoints!

Agreed...Why not buy her a set of new shifters??Big%20smile

Hmmmm. service my old ones, buy myself new ones and upgrade her deore shifters with "hardly used, just been serviced" XT shifters.... I like the way you think.

• 7 years later...

Hi guys,

I found this old thread regarding servicing XT shifters and was wondering if spraying lubricant into the shifter would help with my problem... I have a XT M8000 11 speed shifter which is giving my some problems. It's very difficult to shift up without going up two or three gears at a time, shifting just one gear is almost impossible. Is there any way of calibrating these shifters?

Shifting down is also not as smooth as it used to be.

Would spraying lube into the shifter help, or will it just dry out whatever grease is in there at the moment? Is it worth opening it up and checking inside, or is it a impossible task putting it back together again?

The shifter has about 5000km on it.

Thanks.

Don't take it apart. First try opening the cover and adding some lube to the parts (I find Shimano PTFE lube works well for this). Then try replace the inner cable and check the housing for kinks or crimps. Also give the derailleur some attention and lube the moving parts.

Follow Johan's instructions for the shifter.  Your problem sounds more like a cable issue.  Replace the cable and housing.  If all that does not work it may be the derailleur pivots or even the hanger alignment.

Follow Johan's instructions for the shifter.  Your problem sounds more like a cable issue.  Replace the cable and housing.  If all that does not work it may be the derailleur pivots or even the hanger alignment.

Thanks guys.

I replaced the cable and complete outer this weekend, just before a ride and it's still the same. So I think I'll open her up and see what's going on inside. Was hoping there's another solution because I'll also have to change the grips because it's not the I-Spec shifter that attaches to the brake lever.

I'm just hoping there are no broken teeth in there, cant really afford a R1k+ expense at the moment.

I had similar shifting issues to yours, suspected the shifter, but first replaced the cable and housing and eventually took it to my LBS for them to check. Hanger looked straight enough thus all the other work first and finally confirmed it was not only bent but twisted too. So ... 

I had similar shifting issues to yours, suspected the shifter, but first replaced the cable and housing and eventually took it to my LBS for them to check. Hanger looked straight enough thus all the other work first and finally confirmed it was not only bent but twisted too. So ... 

Thanks for that, will check my hanger/derailleur and make sure everything is strait before I jump into the shifter.

As said already said, you don't need to take the shifter apart, just take the cover off and apply grease where needed.

I did this recently, and it's vastly improved my shifter feel. I found that the grease had migrated away from a lot of the metal contact points so there was no lubrication on parts like the ratchet and the levers.

As said already said, you don't need to take the shifter apart, just take the cover off and apply grease where needed.

I did this recently, and it's vastly improved my shifter feel. I found that the grease had migrated away from a lot of the metal contact points so there was no lubrication on parts like the ratchet and the levers.

I haven't had a chance to check yet, but would I be able to take the cover off without removing the shifter from the handle bar? Perhaps by loosing the shifter clamp and changing the angle for easier entry into the unit?

I haven't had a chance to check yet, but would I be able to take the cover off without removing the shifter from the handle bar? Perhaps by loosing the shifter clamp and changing the angle for easier entry into the unit?

There's a cover underneath as far as I remember. Just flip your bike over.

You should be able to if you can access all the bolts/screws. There's 1 on top and 4 on the bottom. There's another screw internally if you have a bar mount and want to separate the top cover from that.

Personally I just pulled the cable out and took the entire thing off the bars. Much easier working on it like that.

Edited by cairbre

You should be able to if you can access all the bolts/screws. There's 1 on top and 4 or 5 on the bottom depending on the type of mount you have.

Personally I just pulled the cable out and took the entire thing off the bars. Much easier working on it like that.

I agree, would be easier, but I have foam grips and they are a mission to put back on again. Probably have to cut them off and get new ones... Will try with the shifter in place first.

Thanks for the advice!