Paraffin on break pads

Borriz

Can paraffin do any harm or cause any breaking problems if it lands on your break pads?

My logic says no, as it evaporates, but I'm thinking it might cause a problem cause it is oil based.

Any views or experiences?

It shouldn't.... but i'd be nervous to put anything oily on brake pads.....

I think to be safe, if some has spilled on, take your pads out and rub them on fine sand paper

Your brakes won't take immediately because it will slip as you said it is oil based, and then it becomes noisy. If you brake hard you will just slow daw and not brake as quick as you want to. Takes a bit of riding on your brakes to get rid of the oil lair.

is rubbing with sandpaper best alternative to reduce effect?

Most probably it will work quicker, we only found out when we got to the Hilton 50 miler, as we cleaned the drive train and the mist (as it was hooked up to the compressor) went all over, even though the bikes was washed afterwards.

paraffin is a hydrocarbon, therefore will leave an oily residue on your brake pads.

Not recommended.
GoLefty!!2009-12-15 02:10:33

a certain bike shop in ct once had to replace pads and rotors on a bike as result of washing with parafin - not shure why rotors ?? but it sorted the problem - the oil was absorbed by the pads - parafin used to work in the old days ! 

In an emergency at the race - And this does work rub some mud on the rotors, In fact one of the top DH rider use to this to break in new break pads.

I cleaned both brake pads and rotors with white spirits and then rubs the pads on fine sand paper. Haven't riden bike either so hopefully everything works its magic till I mount my beast this weekend in Dullstroom.

Paraffin will contaminate pads cos, as Lefty said, it's a hydrocarbontherefore. Best would be to clean the rotors with isopropyl alcohol / surgical spirit and replace the pads. But you could also run a flame over the pads to bring the oil to the surface, and then sand it off with 400 grit sandpaper.

It explains that horrendous squeaking noise I been experiencing. EmbarrassedOuch

Some one mentioned disk brake cleaner that you can buy at car spares shops.  Would it work?

<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

So I followed all the advice and all I can say is thank you!

I cleaned the pads and rotors with white spirits and then sanded them with that material type cloth (pretty much the same effect as fine sandpaper, even though I think it might be finer). Worked like a charm and had no failures or brake fade.

Thanks to all!