Which bike do you recommend

Gavinhu

just read the thread and am also in the market now for a new silverback phoenix. I'm thinking its a great buy because its got Deore components. I'm also looking at a Merida tfs xc 100-d but it has alivio components. how do they compare to deore?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can get a new Silverback dakota for R6500 Large or secondhand XL for R5500 might even go for R5000, the secondhand only done 70km and is very very good condition. What do I go for, Im 1.87m and weight 100kg. Some say I need to ride a Large but does size really matter??

Silverbackman,

so you think the Bianchi Dos 4600 is quite a decent bike? That was what I was thinking as well. I'm also weighing my options at this stage, then decide on bike and start saving like hell! Plan to ride on weekends, dirt roads, and the odd single track and about a race per month. U think that will work. BUT I have my eye on the Silverback Saturn eish

Rudo, 

If you can save some cash, go for the Silverback Phoenix.  Very good bike for the price, they go for around R5500.  Please do yourself a favour and buy something nice from the start, even if your ass is burning to buy something NOW, dont!!!!  Save your cash and get a decent bike like the phoenix with good components.  Once you buy something cheap just for now, give it 6 months and you will want to upgrade the fork and the groupset and and and and this will set you back much more, believe me.  The Phoenix is a very good bike, so rather just save and buy that, you wont be sorry.

As for the XL and L problem, if you are 1.87m, then you will need an XL bike, your weight has nothing to do with the size of the bike, it's about your length.  Go fit a bike at you local bike shop, and then see from there...

Silverbackman, where do I find a phoenix for R5500. the cheapest I've found was just over R6000.

Silverbackman

Thanks dude, your advice corresponds with what I have thus far. I'm really itching to start NOW but wtf? can just wait a few months, wont hurt that much. Will post a pic of my dream bike on the wall in office tpo keep me motivated...in the meanwhile will start working on general fitness again.

Thanks once more smiley32.gif

OH yes one last thing.

I stay in Centurion. What nice rides/tracks/routes are there in the region? was thinking once I get my bike to join a cycling club and take it from there.

Karsten Cycles - Montana?Thumbs%20Up

Unfortunately i'm in CPT so looks like i should check out some more bike shops.

Centurion - Groenkloof my friend, GROENKLOOF ROCKS!!!  As for a cycling club, why not Cycle Lab Centurion?

I would rather use R4k to buy a second hand bike with slightly better components that a new bike with basic entry level components.