mtgoat

Ok, got the Bycycling from April 2009 with 5 MTB's under R5000

HARDTAILS:

Giant Rock @ R4395 (nice paint job)

Avalance ATX375 @ R3395

Silverback Alpine 2 R4555 (Disk brakes)

Merida Matts 20v @ R3799

Trek 3900 @ R3599

Mongoose Tyax Comp @ R4745 (EDITORS CHOICE)

or go to www.bicycling.co.za.

they list a lot of bikes with prices on the site

Second hand would be my preference as I understand i should be able to get my hands on a decent frame. I can always upgrade as the parts wear out. Year model is where I am uncertain. It wouldn't brother me if I didn't get disc brakes though.

By the by, I am 182cm tall. So I would guess size requirement would be a medium or large dependant on manufacturer. Am I right?

Hi Goat, medium would be good for you , large u could get away with but rather a medium.  I have something i could build for you. The price allows for xt/lx components but prob 8 speed and prob 2004/05 bits.  You going to get a bike thats not super light but good enough. but i would definately organise disc brakes (hydraulic).  How does a GT frame with  rst shock, 952  xtr rear de raileur, shimano alivio front derailleur, deore shifters, 8 speed casette, lx or truvativ crank and BB,  hayes hydraulic disc brakes all for R 6500.  i currently have most of these parts on my bike which i would transfer to the GT frame or something close and ad a few things that i can get from friends.  i want to upgrade my bike anyway, so this suits me so i move al my parts and get add some money and upgrade.. You will have a pretty good hardtail for the bux.  And can upgrade later, all bits have very little mileage so u wont have to replace for years due to wear.  but u may want to upgrade like me sometime.  let me know,  i can  take pics of stuff thats on my bike and send them to you,,, will try source a medium frame too.

1.82m...sounds like a large to me?

mtbgoat - maybe pop in to a bike shop and sit on a few bikes to get the size sorted - it is really important to get a bike that fits well, and, once you have it, have it set up - makes a world of difference.