Cuts in tyres (Slowbee II)

Woofie

Woofie - Did you get to try any of the fixes suggested here?  If so did anything work?

Hi.

Yep I did a repairs to the tyre the other night.

I havent ridden it yet as I am going to keep that set for racing only.

It is not as hardy as my gatorskins and they are lighter so I am rather going to keep those for racing only.

The slit in my tire was not that big, so the repair method will differ it is is a big cut.

What I did, is I cleaned and ruffed up the inside of the tyre where the slit was.

I then covered the area with tube patch glue and let it get dry.

I then used thread tape and I criss crossed across the cut.

The tape will stick really well onto the glue and it is super strong.

Let it dry up.

I then put tube patch glue over the whole area across the tape, etc. Let that dry and then I put a tube patch over that.

I then glued up all the nicks and cuts with super glue. Sticking my hands to the tyre a few times in the process.

However, if I had to do it again, I would rather clean up the tire.

Coat the area with contact glue (much bigger than the cut). I would then heavily coat a piece of tough cloth with contact as well, even dip it in there. Let both get tacky and then stick together. Once dry put something over there to protect it a bit from the tube.

Then glue up the slit on the outside with super glue to prevent stones from getting lodged in there.

I have got no reason to see why this wouldnt work.

Just make sure that the cloth you use has no give or stretch in it otherwise you could bulge out of the cut again.

Woven Kevlar cloth would actually work the best, you can get it from places that sell carbon cloth, but apparantly you cant cut it.

You need to buy these super special scissors. They normally sell them as well.

If you are in cape town I know of a place that sells the stuff.

Woofie how about getting hold of the guys that do industrial rubber lining and see if you can get some of the adhesive they use for that' date=' the adhesive in essence melts the rubber together for lack of a better word, okay maybe volcanisation is a better word! i speak under correction but tyres are made up mainly from butyl rubber so im sure if you get the right adhesive you could put a patch on the inside of the tyre and then "melt" the hole closed. there is a company in JHB called Hitec Rubber  11 9144538 maybe they could help with the adhesive

[/quote']

ClapClapClapClap

This is the best advice out!!!  You gotta "melt" that butyl rubber to get a good fix....

Woofie how about getting hold of the guys that do industrial rubber lining and see if you can get some of the adhesive they use for that' date=' the adhesive in essence melts the rubber together for lack of a better word, okay maybe volcanisation is a better word! i speak under correction but tyres are made up mainly from butyl rubber so im sure if you get the right adhesive you could put a patch on the inside of the tyre and then "melt" the hole closed. there is a company in JHB called Hitec Rubber  11 9144538 maybe they could help with the adhesive

[/quote']

ClapClapClapClap

This is the best advice out!!!  You gotta "melt" that butyl rubber to get a good fix....

This is a really good idea to fix up the rubber on the outside, opposed to glue etc.

But just remember that the rubber is not holding the tyre together. It is the fibre and cloth that gives it its strength.

If you simply "weld" the rubber together with a big cut in the fibre underneath you will just create a big bubble and blow out at that spot as soon as it is under big pressure.

Woofie, what wheels do you have on the bike?

Could you possibly put hydrib wheels (those ones that are a cross between a road wheel and a mtb wheel) and then use a tyre liner that should protect your tubes at least from puncture and possibly the cuts ?

Woofie' date=' what wheels do you have on the bike?

Could you possibly put hydrib wheels (those ones that are a cross between a road wheel and a mtb wheel) and then use a tyre liner that should protect your tubes at least from puncture and possibly the cuts ?

[/quote']

I run normal racing tyres.

I suppose you could run some kind of thin hybrid tyre, although razor sharp glass will still chew that up.

Really tough tyre liners might help, but surely they would also get cut from glass though?