Cuts in tyres (Slowbee II)

Woofie

I have had my fair share of dealings with small cuts in my tyres, and one big fall after trying to be clever with silicon.

This morning I noticed a deep cut on my one month old back tyre that was exposing my tube. Flllllliiiiippppppiinnnnggggg @ssh0les that throw their bottles out the car and line the roads with broken glass.

So changed my tyre to another old one and set out to work.

After my previous "experiments" I discovered that super glue would be a good thing to fix little cuts with, but not silicon.

But what do I do with a cut right through?

Is a gater strong enough? Where do I get them anyway?

Cant I use threaded tape to fix the tyre from the inside?

Ideas?

Say bye to the tyre - Safety First.

I have lost 2 tyres recently due to bottle bits in the road.

I agree with Mutt, it not safe to ride  with a cut that goes right through the Tyre.  I have used a patch on the inside of a Tyre as a temporary fix just to get home, but I would not risk it for too long.

Say bye to the tyre - Safety First.

I have lost 2 tyres recently due to bottle bits in the road.

I cant afford to do that.

My entire journey to work and back (50km) is lined with glass.

I need to find an alterative.

Why cant they start charging a deposit on every single glass bottle that gets sold. Something steep like R5 a bottle.

People will then have an insentive to take that 6 pack back for their 30 bucks instead of chucking the bottle out the window so they dont get seen at the next roadblock.

It is not just bicycle tyres that are getting messed up. Hey maybe that is even added to our horrendous death toll on the roads from leaving vehicles with damaged tyres.

it upsets me so much keep your bottles in your cars assholes, my new gators have cuts already, i think there needs to be more roadblocks over the weekends.

I understand the cost implications and sympathise but really do not believe it is safe to fix that cut.

Maybe someone knows of a tyre that had excellent protection and can maybe resist bottles better.

What kind of tyre - Road or MTB?

Road

I am going to find a way.

What do we have to do to get legislation passes that there needs to be deposits on bottles.

It can be driven as a recycling/road safety program.

Isnt CBrunsden a member of the DA or something?

Just make sure that whatever way you find is safe and the fix will not let go when you least expect it. CBrundson is a member of the DA - Said it cost him 10 bucks..

i take a piece of denim type material cut it so that its quite a bit bigger than the cut... and superglue it over the cut on the inside of the tyre.. make sure thesuperglue is properly dry before puttin the tube back..

if you want you can put some glue in the rubber side to stop grit filling up the gap.. 

i take a piece of denim type material cut it so that its quite a bit bigger than the cut... and superglue it over the cut on the inside of the tyre.. make sure thesuperglue is properly dry before puttin the tube back..

if you want you can put some glue in the rubber side to stop grit filling up the gap.. 

I think this will work spot on.

I dont see a reason why this wouldnt hold out till the end of the tyre life.

I have heard of guys using some sort of needle and thread on tubelees MTB tyres, then putting a patch on the inside to provide a seal.

I have heard of guys using some sort of needle and thread on tubelees MTB tyres' date=' then putting a patch on the inside to provide a seal.

[/quote']

not a bad idea either.

Anyone have any contacts for kevlar cloth?

Maybe using that instead of denim would work better.

Woofie how about getting hold of the guys that do industrial rubber lining and see if you can get some of the adhesive they use for that, the adhesive in essence melts the rubber together for lack of a better word, okay maybe volcanisation is a better word! i speak under correction but tyres are made up mainly from butyl rubber so im sure if you get the right adhesive you could put a patch on the inside of the tyre and then "melt" the hole closed. there is a company in JHB called Hitec Rubber  11 9144538 maybe they could help with the adhesive

I saw a MTB tubeless tyre the other day that had been sewed up from the inside with dental floss and then patched from the inside. Seems to work well.

i use a patch and superglue on my mtb sidewalls but you running much lower pressures on MTBs so im not sure that the same process will work

You will have to sew it up to aviod the gap from stretching when the tube in inflated, a quick fix would be a piece of duct tape/plastic bottle on the inside to keep the tube from popping out. but not good in the long run.

But the best solution seems to be face plant's, there should be something that works, as you get pvc weld for pvc pipes & perspex mixed with ascetone work on perspex as it "welds" the to parts together, superglue might work as it melts pretty much most rubber compounds.