Exercise bike

Musashi

I'm looking for something to use at home when the weather really doesn't allow training or in the winter months when there just isn't enough daylight.  I am seriouly looking at an indoor training, but I'm wondering why exercise bikes aren't more popular.  As an example, my bike is in for a big service (including front and rear shocks) and now I'm without a bike for a week.  An indoor trainer won't solve that problem.  Also, an exercise bike doesn't put wear on my bike's expensive components.

What am I missing?

Musashi2010-02-01 06:12:18

Spinning bike works for me.  No need to hassle with slicks on the MTB and extra wear and tear on bike components.

The problem is the geometry - many of the exercise machines do not resemble your bikes geometry - especially if you are a clydesdale. So what I have done is put a slick onto an old hardtail and put it on a turbo trainer - same geometry and not too much wear as there is no dirt.

Agree you cannot use your only bike as that does not work when in for a service, and it is too much hassle to put on the trainer when required.

I also thought about the geometry, but it seems spinning bikes are fairly adjustable with lower handlebars so with a bit of luck I should be able to come close to my MTB set-up.

With a bit more luck I can fit spd pedals and use my cleats as well.

My spinner is setup close to my MTB with spd's. Planning on attaching a MTB flatbar in place of the spinners hand grips/bar thingys.

The fly wheel of spinning bikes is the problem. It throws your leg forward without you having to do anything.

Therefore indoor trainer is best solution if you want value and quality out of your indoor or rather stationary training sessions.

Indoor trainer stops dead if you stop peddling so you are forced to complete entire peddle stroke and not just the down push as in the spinning bike