hatching kids vs bikes and racing

firewolf

Never say to a friend who is a dad what you would say to a passing 18 year old.  Just don't.

Amen brother' date=' Amen!Clap
[/quote']

my apologies Wink

Like the saying goes -- if you dont try, you'll never know (even if you know its not a good idea to try, but still you have to try, just maybe LOL)

good one.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

like the Johny Walker Add - Keep on Walking.  So can it be for the aspirant father Add - Keep on Trying. 

Oh. And., umm, It acually is much better with someone else in the room with you at the same time though.  Actually with you, not just standing close by..  Ha Ha

like the Johny Walker Add - Keep on Walking.  So can it be for the aspirant father Add - Keep on Trying. 

Oh. And.' date=' umm, It acually is much better with someone else in the room with you at the same time though.  Actually with you, not just standing close by..  Ha Ha[/quote']

LOL

Keep on trying with the wive. Look at Tiger woods - he is so used to practicing golf when not playing the tournament that he decided to up the game with the wive and also practice when the "game is not on!"

So practicing on you own is not a good ideaLOL

Sure it is great to have kids (I've been told) but in this country I do not see much of a future. If you can not give them private education and know that they will make it past university. I think they will have a tough time.

Well that one advantage of Somerset West of the 5 public schools, 3 outperform the private schools in the area (and we do have some of the best). Even the public school my daughter goes to in Durbs is better than a private school.

It all comes down to location.

Same is true about MTB - we got some awesome single track in our are too Wink

OK. So here is a topical one.  Which is better?  Hatching offspring? Or new bikes and unlimited racing?

Why I ask is because this time last year' date=' I stood looking out of my spare room window (which overlooks a neighbours garden) and lusted after the Carbon Tri Felt, with full Dura Ace, and Zipp 404 Tubs. 

Back to present time and all I can see is a wierd calmshell kiddies plastic pool.

ConfusedSO this is the truth of "The Brat." It cometh in the night and stealeth all dads toys.
[/quote']

That usually where my little hubber hides when he is having a private moment LOL

At least my little one loves to put on his helmet and hit the neighbourhood with his dad.

While I've given up a lot for my kids, I've also changed and adapted my free time around them and love spending time with them.

While I've given up a lot for my kids' date=' I've also changed and adapted my free time around them and love spending time with them.
[/quote']

Hear hear! As I said earlier, my daughter is 22, my son turns 21 next month and my other son just started high school.

What is great is when you see the lights come on upstairs and they think like adults regarding responsibility. It makes you think that everything you have done for them was worthwhile.

The other jol is when they phone you and say "Can I buy you a couple or six beers at the keg?" That is where I am with my two eldest at the moment. Awesome! Can a Dogma do that for you?

Please. Lets us not get sidetracked here.? It realy is a very simply question.? What has more value?? A child; oh such a romantic term. Or a full f**king carbon' date=' dura ace, zipp tubbed and race ready dream machine?[/quote']

WTF?

smiley5.gif

While I've given up a lot for my kids' date=' I've also changed and adapted my free time around them and love spending time with them.

[/quote']

Hear hear! As I said earlier, my daughter is 22, my son turns 21 next month and my other son just started high school.

What is great is when you see the lights come on upstairs and they think like adults regarding responsibility. It makes you think that everything you have done for them was worthwhile.

The other jol is when they phone you and say "Can I buy you a couple or six beers at the keg?" That is where I am with my two eldest at the moment. Awesome! Can a Dogma do that for you?

ok 1up for you (on that cool part (18+)

but ....

Tell the other side of the story (when they were younger below 14) Wink

Then the Dogma was/ or could have been your refuge / a home away from all the stuff / a place to be yourself, relax and enjoy life, before returning home to a screaming, hungry and a-mind-of-it-own baby

I'll stop stirring now. haha. I get you. Both have good and bad times. It all works out for the best in the end though

Astana, I hear you.

Short term investment, go for the Pinarello Dogdy

Longer term though......... In 22 years time what will that Dodgy be worth?

Stir away buddy. I enjoy it.

[/quote']

Gasping & cbrunsdon the 2 of you have just became my fiance's fav people as i'm getting married in march and was thinking along the same lines as firewolf about kinds but reading the last 2 posts by you guys i have to admit i can't wait to change over from "young, dumb & full of ***" to wanting to be a rolemodel farther.ClapClapClapBig%20smile

Giving up for your kids?  Is that where this goes?  So.. Then.. hatching equals sacrifice. And the ultimate sacrifice for a bike racer is not to race.  Like a surfer watching the swell of the week roll in and not being able to paddle out. 

firewolf, to answer your question, a kid has way more value than a full carbon bike!!!

I was devestated when I first found out I was pregnant, but now just over a year and a half down the line, I'm getting fit again and am planning my all the races I'll be doing this year and next i.e Karoo to Coast, Wine2Whales etc etc.  You don't have to chose between the two, you can have both.  I know guys that have got a few kids and still gone and done the Epic.

What has made it easier is that I bought a trailer for my kid so now I get to train and spend time with him at the same time and he LOVES the trailer.

Oh and I've got a much better bike now that I had before having my kid.

MalEinstein, the rewards are waaaaay better than you could ever imagine.

Yes you are going to have issues with them while they are growing up. Bikes (even Dodgmas) break and need servicing. You can't replace a kid when you get sick and tired of her/him, but the plus side is that there are no upgrades.

Daughters however are as bling be-donnered as a bike (and somewhat more expensive), but your Pinarello will never take you out for a beer or even supper.

She has just finished her degree in December 2009. Do you have any idea the size of my chest? Can a bike make you that proud?

I will never be a good cyclist. Hell, I will more than likely never even make average or "shows potential". However, all three of mine bring me joy, a smile to my face and even a lump in the throat on an almost daily basis.

Good luck with the nuptials. The same woman has put up with me for 28 years so far, 24 of those in marriage.

Send medals to Mrs Gasping c/o Whispering Waters Rest home ........

Wow! Just when I thought I had actaully succeded in creating a topical Hub thread along comes an invitation to create an even more more topical thread.. Like . do woman actually get to comment on New Bikes and Unlimited Bike Racing?  firewolf2010-02-04 09:10:51

Well the if it where not for my kids I would not be cycling!!!!

Last year this time, I saw my 9yr old daughter for the first time since my divorce in 2001. I was a bit taken back at how fat she was (being hounest here). I wanted to talk to her about it but then my wife (current one LOL) showed a photo of my daughter and I - damn I was fkn huge...

Now how was I going to tell her to loose weight when I myself was fat myself. I also started to pick up health problems due to my weight and my concern was, what happens to my kids (daughter and son - his 2) if I'm gone.

Reality set in, I got a bike in March and got my life sorted.

Its easier to motivate my daughter to loose weight (which she has) as I've done the same - lost 15kg since March (went from 103kg to 88kg).