Accident on R304 in Stellenbosch

SlowSpoke

That road is not that bad.

I believe when its your time its your time. If you follow the rules.

If not : dont expect to be safe. Afrikaans saying : "Moenie onder die hoender stelasie slaap en hoop dat die hoenders nie op jou k*k nie"

If you keep safe and sh*t hits the fan - its not your fault. Ride on safe roads and be on the lookout. MTB or road or even driving your car - accidents do happen.

I believe more people die driving their cars in the Western Cape than Cyclist training for the Argus. Its sad and unnecessary, but its actually a miracle that not more cyclist are killed.

So watch your own back and keep safe.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That road is not that bad.

I believe when its your time its your time. If you follow the rules.

If not : dont expect to be safe. Afrikaans saying : "Moenie onder die hoender stelasie slaap en hoop dat die hoenders nie op jou k*k nie"

If you keep safe and sh*t hits the fan - its not your fault. Ride on safe roads and be on the lookout. MTB or road or even driving your car - accidents do happen.

I believe more people die driving their cars in the Western Cape than Cyclist training for the Argus. Its sad and unnecessary' date=' but its actually a miracle that not more cyclist are killed.

So watch your own back and keep safe.
[/quote']

I agree.  The road is OK.  Just pick your time to ride.  TIp:  when you come back into town, maybe skip going past Kayamandi, take the Bottelary turn-off, go over Devon Hill and take the Devon Valley Rd.  Needs about 400m on good gravel and a 10m portage to bypass a gate.

I've also had very few bad experiences on this road over the 15 or so years I have been riding it.It's just a case of doing all you can to improve your chances and hoping for the best. If a careless motorist is going to hit you then there is little to nothing anyone can do about it. I talk from experience as four years ago I was hit by a forty ton truck when it decided to mow me down in the yellow line when I was on my way to Franschoek. I did everything right but that has little to the attitude, ability or awareness of the driver. I am still riding on the road as I have accepted the dangers and love the sport too much to pack it all in just yet.

Just saw in the Eikstadnuus that the cyclist suffered a "badly damaged leg" and is at present still being treated in the local Medi-Clinic.  According to the report the (male) cyclist clipped the curb and fell in front of or under the truck. 

From the above it would appear that it was purely an accident.

In the same report, it was said that a woman (aged 20, and american visitor) suffered only minor injuries when her bicycle was struck be a train at a level crossing near Stellenbosch last Saturday.

Just saw in the Eikstadnuus that the cyclist suffered a "badly damaged leg" and is at present still being treated in the local Medi-Clinic.  According to the report the (male) cyclist clipped the curb and fell in front of or under the truck. 

From the above it would appear that it was purely an accident.

In the same report' date=' it was said that a woman (aged 20, and american visitor) suffered only minor injuries when her bicycle was struck be a train at a level crossing near Stellenbosch last Saturday.
[/quote']

I don't get it that we have so many accidents involving the train. I mean. You know where its coming from and where its going. Its always going at the same pace - It cant swerve off route.

And on a bike - Come on.

A car can be boxed in (by other traffic), ending up on the track or just have a engine failure there on the crossing. But to just randomly hit the train - retards.

99% of accidents have some kind of human error involved.

Safe cycling guys and girls

In the same report' date=' it was said that a woman (aged 20, and american visitor) suffered only minor injuries when her bicycle was struck be a train at a level crossing near Stellenbosch last Saturday.
[/quote']

I can understand a car dying on a crossing and getting hit by a train, but a bicycle? I bet Ms America was sampling the Stellenbosch Wineroute a bit that day

Napalm2010-02-12 08:08:12

An ex colleauge of mine had a nice saying, he said:

An accident is when a meteorite comes from out of space and hits your house, or when a rock falls of a mouuntain onto a car. When someone hits a cyclist or another car or goes of the road it is not an accident it is a crash brought on by some kind of negligence such as poor driving, going faster than the speed limit, not obeying the rules, not mantaining your car correctly, not paying attention.

Rather funny because he used to get so angry when the guys in the workshop would say something was damaged and it was just an accident. He told them outright they were negligent!

I think this is the same guy that I know, he was training for the Epic. He has a badly damaged leg and a damaged shoulder.

recovery will be long as he cant even use crutches.

He was critically injured but is stable now and recovering.

There's no such thing as accidents, only incidents, I believe. Because I didn't plan it or intend makes it an incident, event, occurrence, experience.

Ride safely, Fellow Riders.

smiley16.gif