Does spining in thje gym help?

Mish100

I am just curious to see what you guys think of spinning in the gym.

Spinning around a block for 45min or going to a spinning class at the gym?

I train in the spinning class only and can ride with the A bunch. I think you have an advantage if you can get on the road and train with other cyclists. It will improve you bike skills and make you more comfortable in the bunch. But if you only have the spinning class then enjoy it. And try to do 2hours at a time. 45min is just warming up.

Not either or, but both. I'm a spinning instructor with my own spinning studio ( www.spinningatbulla.blogspot.com ) and also a cyclist, road and mtb. When you don't have time after work or weather is foul, spin in the gym. BUT nothing can replace bum in saddle and time on your bicycle.

Also, when on the spinning bike please remember to turn up your resistance. Many clients like to fast spin all the time and that is not really cycling. You need to do some power training as well on the spin bike. My classes are all more cycling orientated to help my cycling clients.

Find an instructor with cycling in mind.

Spinning is good for leg speed work but I only spin when it rains and can't ride. There's no replacement to time on the saddle.

Thanks guys. the problem is that I come home too late so I can either go to gym for 45min class or ride on my own for about a hour after work.

So do I just got to the class or ride on my own but I guess you guys right. Better to be on the bike than in a class.

Good too hear all the different opinions.

So do I just got to the class or ride on my own but I guess you guys right. Better to be on the bike than in a class.

Not so. as long as you properly simulate the type of riding ito intensity and cadence you can do better indoors, spesh for that limited time. you could do a steady hard tempo at the entire cadence range to develop strength and legspeed, threshold/vo2max/sprint/whatver efforts you most need/want to do. you wont pack that quality into an outdoors ride of same duration.

invest in second hand indoor trainer. I recon 1 hour indoor trainer is equivalent to 2 hours on the road - because you do a circular route, therefore the hill you just climbed is a downhill on the other side.

Then on spinning - the fly wheel is the problem. It propels your leg forward giving you a false sence of fitness, leg strength and ability. With a indoor trainer if your legs stop it stops.

I agree with the added resistance - I laugh at people spinning at 140 cadence. All they do is push on the down stroke and relax leg on the up, allow fly wheel to bring leg over. Try this on normal bike then your the cheese!

I think it helps alot, but it also depends on the spinning instructor, i have been to a spinning class where i was bored out of my mind and hardly did any exercise, but my usual class is a killer, i come out of there pouring with sweat and have had a very good exercise

spinning is great - try various classes and get to know the best instructors as I have been in classes that are a waste of breathe for a cyclist and better off on the fitness flyer for cardio that buggering around on a spin bike...

spinning is good for cadio, leg speed, and sweating." + you can stay with pack :-)

the negative part is bad recycled air, germs, you become lazy no wind to fight so you sweat more

setup is not the same as your bike, you will get injuries.

invest in second hand indoor trainer. I recon 1 hour indoor trainer is equivalent to 2 hours on the road - because you do a circular route' date=' therefore the hill you just climbed is a downhill on the other side.

Then on spinning - the fly wheel is the problem. It propels your leg forward giving you a false sence of fitness, leg strength and ability. With a indoor trainer if your legs stop it stops.

I agree with the added resistance - I laugh at people spinning at 140 cadence. All they do is push on the down stroke and relax leg on the up, allow fly wheel to bring leg over. Try this on normal bike then your the cheese!
[/quote']

agree that a hard session on indoor trainer CAN be twice as good as a session on the road, where you are often 'soft pedalling', nothing to do with hills.

disagree about the flywheel being a problem - as YOU have to make the flywheel move so if you relax you will immediately start slowing down - just like on the road if you sit up the bike doesn't stop.

i dont think people allow the flywheel to 'propel' their legs forward, although like on the road while the one leg is pushing the other leg is usually being pulled (the old cycling in circles argument)

I agree with all that has been said about spinning. Think one must try to find a balance. Due to time constraints I do one 45min spin & one 90 min spin a week(with the instructors I like and who mixes it up, i.e. sprints,strength work,'rolling hills'), 2 cross training sessions a week(weight training to improve overall strength) and on Saturday/Sunday I hit the road/dirt.

Do spinning during the week 3 times and longer rides on bike over weekends.

May not be ideal - but still better than nothing.

Spinning works well if you set the level to the highest (10) on the Virgin Active spinning bikes and hit the "Race day" programs HARD for 60 minutes! Thumbs%20Up Wink