Saddle width Q's.

ASTANA

Hi

Currently riding a 135mm wide saddle - Sella Italia. its a bit worn out by now and seems to be sagging a bit - making unnecessary pressure points on places u don't want LOL

Did the Specialized ass "o" meter test to measure sit bones width. Came out to be +-110mm.

According to their scale - I should then ride a 143mm saddle...

Now the question is, can I buy a Fizik Airone which is 132mm wide?

What can the negatives be of a too narrow saddle ? Surely too wide can also affect your riding and comfort ?

ASTANA2010-03-05 03:21:15

I used to ride a 130mm fizik and changed to a 142 Specialezed. Major improvement! Gawenator2010-03-05 03:25:14

I used to ride a 130mm fizik and changed to a 142 Specialezed. Major improvement!

improvement in what ? just comfort or injury prevention , less back pain , less saddle sores ?

sorry for asking

I personally think saddle shape also has something to do with it. Maybe try a spoon shape saddle like the Fizik Aliente. Just remember to but it a tad nose up.

What is the Specialized ass o meter test?

Its a "memory" foam pad you sit on to imprint your sit bones to measure the distance between the two center to center.

from there you can determine the correct saddle width you need...

Its a "memory" foam pad you sit on to imprint your sit bones to measure the distance between the two center to center.from there you can determine the correct saddle width you need...

Thanks.

I suppose most LBS can do this?

Its a "memory" foam pad you sit on to imprint your sit bones to measure the distance between the two center to center.from there you can determine the correct saddle width you need...

Thanks.

I suppose most LBS can do this?

If the sell Specialized then yeah

also Bondrager dealers might have their version of this.

Not so sure what the other negatives are (of a too narrow or too wide saddle) - because most people ride the saddles they got with their bikes in the first place. as long as your hips dont rock from side to side I guess its OK ??

Is a ?

If you did the test and the conclusion was that you need a 143mm saddle why do you want to buy a 132mm saddle ?

Is a ?

If you did the test and the conclusion was that you need a 143mm saddle why do you want to buy a 132mm saddle ?

If you read the previous posts - I currently ride a 135 - which was fine until it started to sag a bit after many km of happy riding.

So my Q: I want the Arione because it allows for more movement on the saddle because its longer - but it comes in a 132 and then 143 ish / 145 ish.

What would the negts be of a too wide saddle or too narrow?

if the current one was fine why not go with the same width again - why listen to a chart ?

ASTANA2010-03-05 05:42:40

Was your previous saddle was it a Selle Italia Flow ?

I bought a 2nd hand SLR Flow & it also looks like the one side is sagging but when I measure it may be off by 2mm which could also mean is leaning 2mm to that side.

I rode with a Arizone for a short while and it just didn't agree with my rear, the SLR seems to fit much better. I'd suggest that if possible you borrow a Arizone and do a few rides with it, then if you happy buy one.

IMO if the test says you should use a 143mm then I'd at least try a 143mm, I think the difference would just be comfort.

Was your previous saddle was it a Selle Italia Flow ?

I bought a 2nd hand SLR Flow & it also looks like the one side is sagging but when I measure it may be off by 2mm which could also mean is leaning 2mm to that side.

I rode with a Arizone for a short while and it just didn't agree with my rear' date=' the SLR seems to fit much better. I'd suggest that if possible you borrow a Arizone and do a few rides with it, then if you happy buy one.

IMO if the test says you should use a 143mm then I'd at least try a 143mm, I think the difference would just be comfort.

[/quote']

Sh*t I don't know which Sella Italia it is - all branding is off from excessive wear haha.

Think its a cheapish oneEmbarrassed. It feels like a banana shape by now - nose up , sag in middle and higher back - which results in my sitting in the middle of the saddle in stead of the back part on the widest section. This puts lot of pressure on my .... softer areas. Was not like that from start up till now (3years ) , saddle is "klaar"

http://www.wekeepyoucycling.com/en/downloads/Instructions.pdf

according to this I can have a narrower saddle.

Reason being that I'm scared that thighs/legs will rub on the saddle if its too wide.

i also think too narrow will only be uncomfy ..

Astana, I have previously mentioned it - went through a cycle of saddles. Arione was okay, was assometered and went for a 143 toupe. It killed me on ride one. But hey, new saddle... it will "wear in" - that's BS. After 2 months I could not stand it, picked up a Selle Italia SLR and it was heaven!

If the SI worked for you, why change? Saddle are a major expensive mistake to make, so why change unless you've had the oppurtunity to test-ride?

If you can't test-ride, the SLR's are all pretty much based on the same dimensions with padding (and weight) differences. I'm sure a SI selling shop - and most LBS's stock them - should be able to tell you which Si you've had.

Sorry, I may (and sound) be biased, but I went through a year of semi-suffering ending in suffering on Arione and two months of agony on Toupe. I won't change to another saddle now that I've found what I've got now. And both Arione and Toupe are great saddles for the right butts.