Doctor Speaks out Against Doping..

superman2007

Doctor speaks out against doping
Posted on 04 July 2007 - 20:09

http://images.supersport.co.za/BassoIvan060528CyclingRbg.jpgThe doctor at the centre of Spain's largest ever drugs investigation spoke out against doping on Wednesday.

Eufemiano Fuentes was one of two doctors arrested during 'Operation Puerto' after police seized large amounts of steroids, hormones and EPO from a Madrid clinic in May 2006.

One hundred bags of frozen blood, related equipment and documents naming cyclists and other athletes were also found.

Yet Fuentes was invited to speak at a conference on sport and doping at King Juan Carlos University.

"Doping works against the health of athletes," he said. "It's illegal in Spain and I wouldn't prescribe it to you or to any athlete."

Fuentes and seven other people were charged with having provided doping services. But the case was thrown out in March after a judge ruled that Spain's new doping laws could not be applied retroactively.

The decision is under appeal. The law at the time penalised doping only if it harmed a person's health.

However, Fuentes wouldn't talk about his involvement in Operation Puerto on Wednesday.

"I won't answer any questions about doping, only about sport," Fuentes said.

Fuentes implied that doctors are often victims in doping, pressured to offer treatments by teams and athletes motivated by success and its monetary rewards.

"The amount of pressure put on by athletes and sports teams to achieve the desired results means the doctor is seen as obligated to prescribe treatments that (a cyclist) might not necessarily want," he said.

Fifty-eight cyclists have been implicated in the blood-doping scandal, while 2006 Giro d'Italia winner Ivan Basso was recently banned for two years by the Italian Olympic committee.

The scandal involved extracting blood from riders, treating it to boost the content of oxygen-carrying red blood cells, and then injecting it back into the athletes before a race to boost their endurance.

it dont pay to cheat!

yes it does, just think of the amount of money being made from dope. For the doctor because athletes pay them lots of money for stuff, and the doper who wins, also smiles all the way to the bank.

What if.... Lance would be found guilty?