CYCLIST SAFETY - SO LITTLE SUPPORT

cyclewife

Guest Big H

I have a dream that one day cyslists will rise up and live out the true meaning of their sport: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all cyclists will behave."

I have a dream that one day on the hills of the Cradle, on the hills of the Cape, all cyclists behave and will be equally seen as road users and all of use will be one great brotherhood.

I have a dream that one day from Boksburg to Krugersdorp and far beyond the reaches of the boerewors curtain, all cyclists will sign and abide to a CODE OF CONDUCT, and the sport of cycling will be transformed into an oasis of safety and be enjoyed by all with respect and equality.

I have a dream that my grandchildren will one dayenjoy cycling on our roads without any fear as all cyclists will have manners and considersother road users

I have a dream that one day, all cyclists will unite in the signing of the CODE OF CONDUCT!!!!!!!!!

I would rather worry about my own safety in the near future @ home and in SA than about cycling safety....Unfortunately we are fighting a loosing battle against the government. Cycling / road safely lies with them in the end.... and they cant even govern this country - never mind care about road safety and cycling..Sad but true

I understand your negativity towards SA with the latest developments in the news - however - you just said it yourself..."Cycling/road safety lies with them" - SCARY THOUGHT - ALL THE MORE REASON why we as a cycling community have to DO something about it. Cause if we don't - no-one else is going to. I hope ASTANA that one day you don't have to say "I wish someone would do something...I've just lost a friend/relative who was out cycling" I'm saddened that you don't feel our cause is worth supporting smiley19.gif

Thanks to LeTurbo, MichH, Kletterer for your support. Ray is still riding LeTurbo...we are following him on FB - Ray D. Chaplin: Solo Adventurer. He is in Laingsburg tonight - heading to De Doorn tomorrow...arrival in C.T. 11 April - so if anyone interested in joining him for his last stretch to the V&A Waterfront - let know - I'll send details.

To BigH - I'll dream with you... I also wish that each and every bicycle sold comes with reflector accessories etc. And that the purchaser either produces their helmet..and if not...a helmet goes with the bike. No helmet - No ride.

But you know what guys/dolls - just by starting this conversation today - I KNOW I've made a difference today! A small gesture...but geez - it feels good. ASTANA - sorry to say this to you...but sometimes it's the little things in life that make us feel proud that we've done something...you should try it sometime smiley2.gif

Sad but true, ShaunH started a thread selling stickers for R50 which is what a tube costs and the money raised going to cycle safe campaign and he met with negative comments.

Sad but true' date=' ShaunH started a thread selling stickers for R50?which is what a tube costs and?the money raised going to cycle safe campaign and he met with negative comments. [/quote']

That truly sucks! I bought 3 stickers - one for each car in the household. And I've been more alert to the "Think Bike" stickers for motorcycles...and was pleasantly surprised at how many I saw. ShaunH needs to just keep doing what he's doing..... paradigm shifts take time.

Guest Big H
Thanks to LeTurbo' date=' MichH, Kletterer for your support. Ray is still riding LeTurbo...we are following him on FB - Ray D. Chaplin: Solo Adventurer. He is in Laingsburg tonight - heading to De Doorn tomorrow...arrival in C.T. 11 April - so if anyone interested in joining him for his last stretch to the V&A Waterfront - let know - I'll send details.

To BigH - I'll dream with you... I also wish that each and every bicycle sold comes with reflector accessories etc. And that the purchaser either produces their helmet..and if not...a helmet goes with the bike. No helmet - No ride.

But you know what guys/dolls - just by starting this conversation today - I KNOW I've made a difference today! A small gesture...but geez - it feels good. ASTANA - sorry to say this to you...but sometimes it's the little things in life that make us feel proud that we've done something...you should try it sometime smiley2.gif [/quote']

Lobbying should also be  for a visible number plate so the bike owner can be traced if a misdemeanor is committed. This could be incorporated with a road users lisence.

Lobbying should also be? for a visible number plate so the bike owner can be traced if a misdemeanor is committed. This could be incorporated with a road users lisence.

I agree BigH...if we had enough supporters - I am sure that Sign Up's initiative need not only be putting up cycling awareness signs - but to also raise awareness through various other campaigns...such as the one you've just mentioned.

But it HAS TO start somewhere....and here is a perfect starting point, don't you think?

Come on cyclists....we're just about at the halfway mark of the target. Let's get to the target before Ray reaches Cape Town. We can do this! smiley20.gif