Heart rate on stage races

Tjokkits

I found on the Jberg2c from day two I could not get my heart rate up, my max seemed to have effectively dropped by like 30!!  some other cyclist mntioned the same happens to them, is this normal or was I just over worked? (and doing a fitness test afterwards my VO2 max seems down??)

Yip. Sias is correct. Your legs are too "tired" to work hard enough for your hr to go up.

Heart rate is subjective and can be influenced by the environment. It could  just as easily have been the weather.

This is a point made at any of the Polar presentations they give each year for the Epic. You will battle to get it into the 80%s and will not see more than 85% after 3 days. Big thing is your recovery each day. Judge your performance on how you do each day rather than your average HR. If you are slowly moving up the field (temember teams higher up the field are dropping out) you are doing well and recovering fine.