Giant anthem frame

I have a 2008 Giant anthem.   for the last few months I the frame started squeeking, scratching noise where the rear suspension is attached to the frame.  Have taken it to my local cycle shop a they say it's last collecting in the grooves and frame flexing.  After cleaning with preasure hose, it's quite for 4-5 km's then it starts again.  Anyone else with the same problem or know how to fix it?  Pleeeease. Cry20100525_132301_REG_fiets.JPG

Are you sure the shock pivot is lubricated and clean?

Take the shock off and press the aluminium inserts out of the eyelets and regrease them and check then...

My buddy also have a 2008 anthem frame, we went for a ride and he also complained about a squeeking noise, when he looked closer he saw that the frame or rather welding had a crack where the top tube is welded to the seat tube.

Giant replaced the frame at the end.

It is definitely in there.  Have taken the shock off, lubed everything (including the frame).  Nothing i have tried works.

Several things to look out for:

1.) When you gently lift on the seat is there play in the rear suspension?

2.) When you compress the suspension is the shock hardware [small aluminium inserts which press into the shock] remaining fixed in the shock ie. rotating on  the frame, or remaining fixed on the frame and rotating in the shock?

3.) Are the linkage bearings rotating freely?

4.) Are the pivot bolts and shock bolts fastened securely?

I would recommend running through the above first. A few things to note:

You shouldn't have to "lube" the shock hardware as it runs on a bushing inside the shock. Provided this is clean and rotating freely [i won't be possible to move by hand] within the shock you are ok. To check it is rotating correctly, remove the shock, clamp the hardware in a vice as it would be clamped in your frame and then check to see the shock rotates. It will be stiff, but it should still rotate.

If the bushing that your shock hardware runs on is worn or damaged a tell tale sign will be either play in the suspension [point #1] or seizure in the hardware [point # 2]

If the linkage bearings are worn, which is common on Anthems older than 8 - 12 months [when riding regularly] these will need to be replaced by a shop with the necessary tools. Bearings kits can be purchased through the store in the form of an OE kit from Dragons Sports [Giant Disti] or as an aftermarket kit from Enduro Bearings.

A little biased sales pitch: The Enduro bearings should last longer than the OE Giant kit and will not void any warranty on the frame. The design employed by Enduro is what is known as a MAX type bearings, meaning the cage which houses the balls within the cartridge/ sealed unit is removed allowing more space for additional balls. The addition of balls increases the load bearing capacity of the bearing and hence its life-span. In addition to this, all of the MAX bearings form Enduro use a marine grease rather than a low friction, soap based grease used in regular "high speed" cartridge bearings. Due to the fact that these bearings oscillate rather than rotate friction is not an issue. This marine grease combined with labyrinth rubber seals further increases the life of the bearing.

Rant over...

• 2 months later...

I have a similar problem on my 2006 Giant AC, theress definate play when i lift my bike up by the seat. Feels almost like a loose headset in terms of movement & sound. It seems the play is coming from the bushing/pin that goes through the main suspension eye the top one.

After doing some research(go0gle)I came across this:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=396483

Which is EXACTLY what i have! Yay. It seems like an easy enough fix, but heres the question.

Where can i find the parts or tools to get it fixed? What do i ask for? Can a phone a couple bike shops and say "Hey you got a 2006 Giant AC bushing lying around?"

Any idea on cost?

One other thing, the movement is only up and down, nothing lateral. How much could this affect my riding performance through cornering/ control/ braking if atall? Or is it merely cosmetic, and an annoying sound?

Thanks In Advance!)