Actionphoto - 2010 Argus pics

SWM1

I had a problem before where I got threatening letters saying I must pay for the photos for an event as I hadn't returned them. Got quite nasty. I would have happily either taken the photos and paid for them, or sent them back if in fact I had actually received them in the first place. Can't really trust the post office.

I much prefer the online ordering. I've ordered digital images and a cd and both times had no problems and got my pics.

I remember getting photos a few years back that were stunning... after this Argus I must say that the quality of the photos were rather shocking, I wouldn't even take the photos if you offered them for free.

It's a pity the guys from oakpics and actionography aren't mainstream (or it seems that way) coz there picture qualities are awesome. When we were doing the jailbreak tri the guys were in the water with us taking real action photos - not just shooting away hoping to get a good shot...

With the modern era of online ordering and viewing of photos online before ordering, there is no way that they can force you to pay for photos sent through the post.

I can't believe that they still try these ambush marketing techniques in this day and age. It's just a waste of money and time to print and mail photos to someone, only for it to be returned. Not to talk about how un-ecofriendly it is due to the wastage of paper and so on.

I think half the problem is that their sales are probably down on years gone by, so now they try and con the people into buying the photos they send out with carefully worded phrases to make it sound as if a person is obliged to pay for them once they have been sent.

Many years I had a similar problem with a private guy who tried to make a quick buck out of the Argus event. He went around photographing cyclists and even when I insisted that I was not interested, he kept on and said that if I did not like the photo I could send it back. Being young and naive in those days, I eventually gave in and let him take my photo and my postage details. A few weeks later I received a single A4 photo with an astronomical bill. He also made it sound as if I was obliged to pay for the photo. I just posted it back and said I was not interested and that the photo was taken under duress. He even threatened to go to his lawyers etc, but nothing ever came of it.

With the modern era of online ordering and viewing of photos online before ordering, there is no way that they can force you to pay for photos sent through the post.

I can't believe that they still try these ambush marketing techniques in this day and age. It's just a waste of money and time to print and mail photos to someone, only for it to be returned. Not to talk about how un-ecofriendly it is due to the wastage of paper and so on.

I think half the problem is that their sales are probably down on years gone by, so now they try and con the people into buying the photos they send out with carefully worded phrases to make it sound as if a person is obliged to pay for them once they have been sent.

Many years I had a similar problem with a private guy who tried to make a quick buck out of the Argus event. He went around photographing cyclists and even when I insisted that I was not interested, he kept on and said that if I did not like the photo I could send it back. Being young and naive in those days, I eventually gave in and let him take my photo and my postage details. A few weeks later I received a single A4 photo with an astronomical bill. He also made it sound as if I was obliged to pay for the photo. I just posted it back and said I was not interested and that the photo was taken under duress. He even threatened to go to his lawyers etc, but nothing ever came of it.

Well said here - I would advise everyone that receives unordered photos in the post to complain about it at the Cycling Trust, CSA and PPA. Sure, the orginisers probably gets a cut of the ordered goods, but will not ignore bad business practice from one of their service providers if enough people complain about it.