Reba Damper removal

Gavinw

Hi, My Roxshox Reba SL is leaking oil at the top of the Damper, and I was wondering if it is possible to remove the damper instead of spending R800 on a new damper.

As the whole damper is all one piece. If i do remove it, How do i plug the top of that fork. I know this is a flyer, but is this possible?

Tx in advance.

You can drain the oil, BUT then you will have a pogo stick fork... Why do you need a new damper? Why not just get new seals?

I have serviced the Shock but i still get oil running out the top from the damper side. It seems the leak is between the metal cap and the plastic thingy the poploc attaches to.

That damper you mention is the compression damper and lockout device. If you remove it, you'll forfeit both those functions. Some people are happy to live without it and I've fitted standard air caps on there for them. This is the same cap as on the other side. You simply don't use the inflation valve.

However, the solution is to fix the Motion Control Damper. It has an O-ring that sits between the floodgate shaft and damper body that needs renewal from time to time. The bike shop solution to this is to sell you a new damper at R680 or so. The DIY solution is to fix it. Total costs: R2-50 for a new O-ring.

I've posted pictures and instructions of the procedure before. Search for Motion Control Damper under my posts. You'll find it. There is some left hand thread in that damper so read the instructions before attempting the operation.

Tx Johan,

Will give this a try during the week. Obviously if you remove the Damper, does the oil volume still stay the same for that.

Tx in advance.

Tx Johan,

Will give this a try during the week. Obviously if you remove the Damper, does the oil volume still stay the same for that.

Tx in advance.

I'd put just a little bit more oil in. The reasson for this is that the top end of the bath is now open and the oil will splash around more and thus you could potentially have the situation where the rebound damper at the bottom starts to find air bubbles. It wants to work in pure oil not aerated oil.

How much more? Try 50ml. If you put in too much you won't get full travel. Perhaps the best to do would be to experiment. Deflate the left leg so that you can easily depress the fork. Then keep on adding oil until you encounter hydraulic lockout. Then remove a bit and make a note of the level.

I did this with a weight weenie's bike once but I cannot remember how much oil I put in extra, just that I fiddled until I didn't get hydraulic lock but still full travel.

Tx for the advise gents,

Johan, where would one be able to buy an extra air cap for the Reba.

Tx for the advise gents,

Johan, where would one be able to buy an extra air cap for the Reba.

Advertise on The Hub's Wanted section. There has to be a trashed shock somewhere. Otherwise, you may have to bite the bullet and ask your bike shop to order one from the cartel-member Rock Shox agent.