Hijacking in Fountains - Groenkloof?

Dibles

Very sad to hear. When I rode there last summer, I thought that anyone can easily hide and get away in the tall grass in that singletrack section towards the western border... what to do is the question...

Burn the grass ;)

Went and cycled at fountains valley on Monday and you could definitely get mugged there, there were a lot of construction workers on the left side where the guatrain construction is. I almost smashed into a blue mercedes benz that was parked on a single track with two people in the back and cloths hanging over the front seats. Was not fun having to pick my bike up and walk around them going into the bush.

So I think if there was an attack it would have been ether outside or maybe fountains valley but I highly doubt that it would have happened in the reserve. Groenkloof has pretty high fences that are maintained because of the animals and I have never had a problem there nor have I seen any one doggy walking around besides cyclists, workers and hikers.

Should have snuck back and let their tyres down :huh:

I know it a pain and we shouldnt have to result to it, but maybe carry pepper spray or something similar just in case. Its small enough to fit in your pouch :unsure:

Went and cycled at fountains valley on Monday and you could definitely get mugged there, there were a lot of construction workers on the left side where the guatrain construction is. I almost smashed into a blue mercedes benz that was parked on a single track with two people in the back and cloths hanging over the front seats. Was not fun having to pick my bike up and walk around them going into the bush.

So I think if there was an attack it would have been ether outside or maybe fountains valley but I highly doubt that it would have happened in the reserve. Groenkloof has pretty high fences that are maintained because of the animals and I have never had a problem there nor have I seen any one doggy walking around besides cyclists, workers and hikers.

Thats bad news...I am coming to jhb for 3 days over the lwend and was hoping to ride in Groenkloof which I have not done before......

With regards to the bonking merc a funny story

In the 70's we used to climb Table Mountain at night above Rhodes Memorial and the old Zoo to play guitar and do naughty things.Came down one nite to find a passion wagon parked with a couple giving it horns.Now we all had looong hair and looked pretty scary in the dark so we crept up below the window line and then slowly stood up all around the car.

I think we are lucky they did not die of heart attack.They screamed and tore off down the road never to be seen again

I was there the day it happened.

It was more or less 3 weeks ago. It was two youngsters that robbed a farther and his son with their knives.

It occured at Fountains Valley on the back part of the XC course. Since then They have set up a gaurd at the entrance of the XC track.

I must say Fountains/Groenkloof really tries thier best to ensure rider safety and this was an isolated event that hopefully won't re-occur.

Thats bad news...I am coming to jhb for 3 days over the lwend and was hoping to ride in Groenkloof which I have not done before......

I still believe that Groenies itself is safe. If you still want to ride there over the long weekend, give us a shout. Maybe drag a coupla hooligans along for the ride.

I still believe that Groenies itself is safe. If you still want to ride there over the long weekend, give us a shout. Maybe drag a coupla hooligans along for the ride.

Howzit Chum

Watching the XC over the weekend reminded of pmb.Already planning for next year :-)

I am def coming down on the Tursday and leaving on the Mon.Staying with my daughter in 4 ways.

So I am on for sat or sun for a ride.I asked Michelle but she is off to some farm with Swampdogs???

Coupla beers after will be cool :D

Howzit Chum

Watching the XC over the weekend reminded of pmb.Already planning for next year :-)

I am def coming down on the Tursday and leaving on the Mon.Staying with my daughter in 4 ways.

So I am on for sat or sun for a ride.I asked Michelle but she is off to some farm with Swampdogs???

Coupla beers after will be cool :D

Sunday morning would be good for me. I have to work at the shop on Saturday morn. Mich is going to Farma Sutra. I woulda gone too, but I had a choice: take last Friday off to go to the Tread Summit and thrash test bikes around the Waterberg*, or take the Friday on the long weekend. Beer? Not even a question! Will drop you my cell number closer to the time.

*Didn't turn out as planned, as the bikes decided to thrash me around :(

Thanks - just before I head off there the bonking merc reminds me of my ride this Sunday Morning where I passed a cop car in the UP sports grounds - bottom corner under some trees - in which a lady police person had to rapidly pull up her dress and the other person just ducked! :blink: Assume they were not on the job at the time :D :lol:

Thanks - just before I head off there the bonking merc reminds me of my ride this Sunday Morning where I passed a cop car in the UP sports grounds - bottom corner under some trees - in which a lady police person had to rapidly pull up her dress and the other person just ducked! :blink: Assume they were not on the job at the time :D :lol:

Perhaps you mean on duty…seems they, er, were on the job…so to speak… :unsure:

Looks like we may have some interested riders, Krans! Will start a thread in Group Rides.

*mini-hijack*…also saw the racing at the weekend, and shared some (fuzzy) memories of PMB with Sean and Dassie! Great weekend that! B)

Sunday morning would be good for me. I have to work at the shop on Saturday morn. Mich is going to Farma Sutra. I woulda gone too, but I had a choice: take last Friday off to go to the Tread Summit and thrash test bikes around the Waterberg*, or take the Friday on the long weekend. Beer? Not even a question! Will drop you my cell number closer to the time.

*Didn't turn out as planned, as the bikes decided to thrash me around :(

Its in my diary

Cool

groenkloof & fountains are 2 different places.

one day groenkloof, one day van gaalens, one day teak place, one day northern ... oh no you're only here for 3 days ...