Question re hot rims and effect on tires (and tube

mdk555

..... Some carbon forks has been known to fail with the use of disks on a road bike. If it is a MTB you and you ride aggressively you should use a 20mm front axle or maxle or even the 23 mm axle as used on the Maveric Duc32 forks. There s been documented cases of normal skewers snapping under load and cases of forks collapsing. So beware!!!!!!!!
Eish - I have heard that carbon forks are not 100% reccomended and worries me as I have one. I have heard that many of the Yanks replace the skewers with the old nut and bolt system.

To speed the fixing of punctures they drill another hole in the rim and place a second tube in the tire and then inflate the second tube. Dont ask me how they know which one punctured.

Im still yet to see my discs glowing red!I tell you what' date=' I would be interested in you joining me on a ride with prolong disc usage providing you replace the disc and pads due to anywear and then we do a writeup.Let me know[/quote']

It is quite easy to see in the dark and impossible in daytime. But you don't have to see it to know it. We know that disks glow read because they fold. We know they didn't fold when cold because they've been designed and tested to a point where they shouldn't fold from braking forces when cold. However, heat them up and their strength diminishes and they fold. Therefore they were red.

Find another sponsor for the experiment and I'm in. I'm just not sure what your hypothesis is?

The 203mm is on my tandem front and rear. It has a solid alu fork. It uses the standard road skewer and yes I understand what you saying but the fork from cannondale can only use a normal skewer. Their bikes come equiped like that only difference is mine are hyrodraulic as I run a flat bar.

My hypothesis is that a disc brake is better than V brakes and will never pop a tyre due to heat. A puncture on the other hand is a different story...

A

There s been documented cases of normal skewers snapping under load and cases of forks collapsing. So beware!!!!!!!!

Yes, skewers do snap under load but braking and riding is not a load that affect skewers. Skewers are under no load other than its closure tension and they do snap - when that tension is exceeded and then only so at the moment of closing.

Braking hard with a tandem or solo puts no extra strain on a skewer and therefore it has nothing to do with a tandem's braking reliability. All the forces from braking are on the axle only and its mode of support is so good that braking doesn't affect it.

So it is on a road bike. Is it the standard Cannondale fork? You can improve safety by fitting Titanium Skewers. The risks involved is great..... as long as you are aware of it. Also remember a disk brake can NEVER be used successfully as a drag brake.

It is the standard cannondale mtb tandem fork so no suspension it is rigid.Well when it breaks and I almost vrek then Ill replace them with ti

You can improve safety by fitting Titanium Skewers. The risks involved is great..... as long as you are aware of it. Also remember a disk brake can NEVER be used successfully as a drag brake.

We have already established that a skewer is not a safety concern on a tandem or any other bike, since it bears no load other than its own closing tension. Further, attempting to improve safety by fitting titanium skewers is non-sensical. I assume that you assume that titanium is stronger than steel and therefore safer.

Well, titanium is about half the weight of steel and about half the strength in tension (i.e. tensile strength). In shear it is even weaker. Skewers fail in two modes 1) the shaft breaks at a stress riser such as the first thread or b). the threads strip out of the skewer nut, usually if it is made of aluminium.

Titatanium skewers are far weaker than steel skewers but luckily, skewer strength is not a safety issue, them not failing spontaneously during riding but upon closure.

Stick with your cost-effective steel skewers I say.